Which filters/gels will fit Arri Fresnel Lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 02:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which filters/gels will fit Arri Fresnel Lights?

Hello everyone,
I'm planning on getting the Arri Fresnel Lights kit:

Arri Fresnel at BH

I wanna get some filters with it. I just want colored ones (blue,orange,..) for background effects.
I searched the BH website for filters, and I got so confused. I donno which ones will fit those lights.

I'd appreciate your help.
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

My advice would be to send B&H an e-mail or send them a call
about this. They can probably help you with your question.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Trustee

You would buy whatever size gel you feel would fit in the filter frames. The 650 watt has a 6 5/8" frame and the 300 watter a 5" frame. You get one filter frame for each light in the kit. You have to buy the gel in sheets and cut it to fit the frame.

This site link gives you options for filter kits and frames.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=72022&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanx Bryan. that was exactely what I was looking for!
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd suggest clipping the gels to the barndoors instead of using the filter frames. It's what most people do with good ol' Arri Juniors. Use the spring-type wooden clothespegs and leave plenty of gap for ventilation. Rosco supply gels in 20 x 24 inch sheets: that is fine for clipping to Juniors.

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Helen's advice is solid. That's what I generally do. I buy gels by the sheet and then simply cut the sheets down to a good size to clothes-pin to the barndoors.

This method also helps the gels to last a bit longer. They stay much cooler and do not fade as quickly as they would if you were to fit them into that circular gel frame on the Arris.

Be sure to get good-quality gels, such as GAMs or Roscos. They are tinted through the film rather than on the film.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #7
Tourist

Re: Which filters/gels will fit Arri Fresnel Lights?

Thanks for the brand recommendations for GAM and Rosco. I always get lost with all these different manufacturers. I am planning to light my interview with Softboxes on my Arri fresnels. Should I still resort to fixing gels on the outside of the soft box or stick some cutouts of the gel between the lamp and the soft box (with a gel ring) ?
Thanks for your time.
Loic Van Der Heyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Re: Which filters/gels will fit Arri Fresnel Lights?

The topic is 15 years old, I suspect you missed that!

If you are in Belgium, you will probably find Lee Filter is more common than Rosco and Gam - Us Brits tend to use Lee as their range is, in my view the best - and I've used them for ever!

If you have an Arri Fresnel and have a soft box fitted, then Lee and the others can go in the usual slots where the barn doors or other add-ons are slid into. A small cut does the job, and much easier to do than cut a large sheet and then try to fix that to the soft box.

Personally, I tend to soft my Arri Fresnels with a larger sheet off diffuser, clipped to the bar doors with metal bulldog clips, rather than use a soft box. Works very well for me - just something I always did on Redheads, so carried it through to the Arris. It's also much cheaper. When I do need a colour in the Fresnel, I use a small cut, and don't waste gel on a big sheet the same size as the defuser - a frost in my case. They do burn out eventually, close in - but gel is a consumable.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management