Low cost, effective fake TV flicker - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 16th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

Thanks guys. I have, however, been blessed to make an arrangement with a local studio to borrow their gear whenever, as long as I give them a heads up and treat it nicely. Consequently, I now have in my possession a 2k zip light, and a 1k dimmer (I'll only use one of the 1k bulbs in the ziplight), and a few other things.

I think if I had to do it with the gear available to me that I own, I would have, like some of you, just waved something in front of a gelled light. . .looked pretty good when I was screwing around.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #17
Capt. Quirk

What about taping a string of blue and white blinking christmas lights to the front of a tv? If they blink fast enough, it seems like that might work?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #18
Slash Rules!

Yeah, but it'd be over the top, I think. One of the things this DP friend of mine told me is that people overdo the effect too often--making these crazy flickers when they're supposed to be watching something calm. The flicker should come from when the picture on the TV allegedly changes significantly---so if you're watching a music video, then it'd be crazy, but if it was a narrative piece (sitcom, drama, movie) then the cuts would only come every few seconds, maybe. Kind of a randomized pattern is what you want.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

You're right about the frequency of the flicker. Don't over do it. The light changes are motived by what ever is on the TV, so unless the character is watching MTV or something else with fast cuts, then the flicker should be infrequent, like once every 3-6 seconds.

One night I was walking down the street and looked up at a window (Hey, I'm not a peeping tom), and saw the flicker of a TV and noticed that the shadows from the flicker actually changed positions, as if it were two light soucres. It must have been a big TV, 27' or better and whatever they were watching had compositions with lots of contrast. It was like half the screen was bright and then on a cut it switched, thus causing the shadows to shift, just like if you had two light souces going on and off that were a foot or so apart.

Sorry to babble on, but I would have never thought of it unless I saw the effect in real life.

Scott
IMDB listing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817387/
Scott Spears is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management