DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Fresnel comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/20334-fresnel-comparison.html)

John Locke January 24th, 2004 08:52 PM

Fresnel comparison

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with the DeSisti open face tungsten and are able to tell me how it compares to, say, a 650 watt DeSisti or Arri?

The "Open face" info says it accepts "300, 375, 400, 600 and 650 watt 110V lamps" and that "the light beam angle changes from wide (flood) to tight (spot)." Problem is, it doesn't give any specs on the beam angles or how the output compares.

The open face model is much cheaper and more compact, plus it ranges from broad to tight spot (supposedly), so if the difference between it and the bigger boys is negligible, looks like it would be the way to go.

BTW- What's an "Edison Plug"?

Mike Rehmus January 24th, 2004 10:17 PM

An Edison is an ugly flat plug with round sockets (female half) and round connector pins (male half) that can be fused or not. Hauls a lot of current and is designed for in-line use on a power cord.

I'd guess any open-face lamp is not going to be as good as a fresnel for evenness.

These questions are answered very nicely in Jackman's lighting book by the way. I just got it and find it to be very helpful. Which is why I know what an Edison is even though I've worked with them for a few years. Just didn't know their name.

Ken Tanaka January 25th, 2004 12:07 AM

I am a big fan of Arri's. I have three and they are just well-made and easy to use.

I have seen the DeSisti's in use and they appear to also be of comparable construction. (I am not absolutely certain that their scrims seat in the same handy manner as the Arri's, but I suspect they do.)

Speaking of which, regardless of which instrument you buy be sure that you also get some scrims for it (if you do not already have them). I'd recommend getting at least one "red" (full stop) and one "green" (half stop).

John Locke January 25th, 2004 12:11 AM

I definitely plan to get "the works" with whatever I choose. I'm just surprised that the DeSisti Open Face claims to be able to focus down to a tight spot. I'd really like to hear from someone who's seen it in action...because if it's true, and the quality is good, it'll be a great way to expand the lighting kit without breaking the bank and breaking the back.

Mike Rehmus January 25th, 2004 05:21 PM

I gotta believe that if they really focused down to a spot, there'd be a lot few fresnel lights sold. I don't see much about them anywhere. Why don't you email Jackman and see what he has to say?

Jacques Mersereau January 26th, 2004 08:43 AM

<<<An Edison is an ugly flat plug with round sockets (female half) and round connector pins (male half) that can be fused or not. Hauls a lot of current and is designed for in-line use on a power cord.>>>

I believe the connector you are describing is called "STAGE PIN".
Stage pin is the defacto standard in the lighting industry.

In all my years in the business,
an "Edison" plug is the common two or three pin A/C connector
used in the US. Called Edison because they made it the standard
in homes. Now, I don't want to argue with Mr. Jackman, but
that is my experience.

Most open faced lights are generally used in softboxes as their
beam is rather uneven. If their beam is adjustable, it would be
no where near what a fresnel can do and have the annoying tendency
to scatter light all over the place.