Green Filter for Sima Light? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #16
Major Player

I have 2 of their IR lights, the same size as the non-IR visible light ones we are discussing. In nightshot mode on my little Sony knockabout camera, the difference between using the on camera light and the SIMA IR is almost like turning on a light switch in a small room. It's is just as impressive as the visible light model.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I decided to grab 4 lights and rig them up on my bracket rig (puts the lights up and to the sides of the camera on each side. Was testing my XR500V that just arrived (and it is amazing in low light!)

Close up, 2 lights is plenty good, and probably good for maybe 10-15 feet of throw, not a lot gained by adding more... for interviews, and that sort of shot, hard to beat.

I decided to shoot across my darkened garage and see what would happen - 1 light was weak, but helped the camera a lot, not really able to make it across the whole garage (around 30 feet, 3 car width). 2 again looked much better than 1, and adequate illumination for the most part, a bit of drop off to the outside left and right edges at the wide setting (16x9). Turning on two more lights that were mounted onto the first two lights but sticking out more to the side filled the sides very nicely, and illuminated everything in the frame to a level that was quite adequate.

I don't know that I'd want to have to look into the array, but it certainly lit the whole frame with no additional light... pretty even and I didn't see any color cast. Since the lights were spaced apart a bit, shadowing wasn't too bad either.

I'll still have to modify my diffusers a bit so they will work on the double light, but again, the bang for the $$ ratio is hard to beat on these little guys.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

SO where is everyone buying these lights?

Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Rehm View Post
SO where is everyone buying these lights?
Forum sponsor Videoguys offers a 3-pack for $100.
Videoguys.com - Sima SL-20LX 3-Light Bundle

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management