DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Green Filter for Sima Light?

I've read around here somewhere (and yes I did do a search but couldn't find it) that do get the Sima light to look right a minus green filter is needed. Where might I find these locally? I'm on my way to the camera store now for something else, but if they don't have the filters (which I doubt they will) I'll check back to see what you guys recommend.

I just got two of these lights, and they are ridiculous for the money. I love them, and I haven't even used them yet. I'm going to order bunches more.

Has anyone come up with an idea for a diffuser for these babies?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I found out we have a theatre supply house here, they'll have someting.
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff... your search was probably unavailing because the original thread mis-named the Sima lights as Sigma lights. I think you wil find the info you seek here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...deo-light.html
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris, appreciate it!
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeff - I've got a simple basic diffuser cobbled up with some fine needlepoint backing from a craft suppy store (the white grid stuff), seems reasonably effective and easy to take on and off.

Not sure why everyone feels these lights are "green", they seem relatively even to me as lights go, although very different from the halogen Sonys I've used in the past. And at least they don't have the yucky BLUE cast that so many LEDs have - been doing very well for me as fills mounted a bit up and away from the camera - I find a pair works well, more than that seems to diminish returns.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dave, I used them last night at a wedding. They are amazing, expecially for the money.

I am absolutely hooked on them. I am more excited about these than anything I've purchased in a long time.

During one dance I had two cameras rolling, and I left my camera and went out with a handheld light and lit the couple up from the side and what a fantastic effect it had.

I am ordering more and ditching my Sony 10/20s for the most part. The Sony's are better, with the Stoffen diffuser, for those occasions when I wander onto the dancefloor and don't want to be too intrusive, but otherwise, I love the Simas as they are.

I never picked up the gels, but will this week. I don't see the green some have described but I want to try the light out with a filter anyway. For the most part everything looked fabulous.
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Jeff, i have tried a 1/2 minus green, but i think it is a little too much. I assume a 1/4 minus green is perfect, but even without a filter they're good enough for me.
So, the only thing i need is a nice diffuser, i have a ND-gel, but it isn't enough. Maybe a piece of white (baking?)paper is nice.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The baking paper idea isn't a bad one, I might try it.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My early model had a green tint...it was the only drawback to an otherwise extremely handy little light. It'd be interesting to know if they really did improve the color cast on the newer models.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Trustee

I thought I would point out that some places won't know what a minus green gel is so try the term "magenta".

Sima also has an even smaller light and I think I'm going to get one for my Canon 5D which doesn't need much light. I can carry two of these small lights and use one as a rim light as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thank you Marcus.

Actually, when testing the light yesterday next to my Sony light it seems to cast a bluish color.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

They definitely have a "cooler" cast than the Sony halogen - to me it looks to be fairly "white" light overall - the halogens tend to orange, while the Simas tend towards blue or IMO "neutral", not like MOST LED's - they aren't the hideous blue that many LEDs seem to exhibit.

I haven't noticed the "green" that some seem to report - I'm guessing this depends a lot on the underlying lighting. Remember that our eyes "auto" white balance (unless you have color blindness), and that lighting varies widely. A camera on the other hand either does the best it can to "auto" or needs a "reference white" - we all know of "warm cards" or cards that can be used to "trick" WB in various ways to get "better" (typically "warmer") looking video.

So far I've found the Sima light to be fairly decent on color balance and a great bang for the buck.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have had one of these for some time and have been very impressed with punch, softness and of course price. I just bought 2 more. Someone said that 2 was very powerful but 3 didn't make much difference. WRONG! It's unbelievable. I think they are as powerful as the cree array that I built. Oh and the cost for 3 ($35 each) is nowhere near the $400 or $500 that some companies offer.
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I can't say enough about them. I just ordered 4 more. They are so lightweight and cheap. They free up my Sony batteries.

Put this on top of a HV30 with a shotgun mic and you have a heck of an inexpensive interview rig for weddings.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Moses View Post
I have had one of these for some time and have been very impressed with punch, softness and of course price. I just bought 2 more. Someone said that 2 was very powerful but 3 didn't make much difference. WRONG! It's unbelievable. I think they are as powerful as the cree array that I built. Oh and the cost for 3 ($35 each) is nowhere near the $400 or $500 that some companies offer.
That was probably my coment - 2 seems to be optimal for shorter range, I didn't see much from adding the third, but I'd guess if you're trying to light up a bigger space, more is better - I tend to use it as a short range fill (wedding interview type stuff), so haven't had the chance to try to light a big space with it, but it is designed to put together in an array, so you could sort of build as big a panel as you wanted - maybe I'll have to stack the 6 I've got and see what happens! I'd guess it would be effective, if a bit blinding to anyone in it's path!

On a completely different topic, for those that have cameras with nightshot/IR, they have a couple models of IR lights - the little ones seem to work pretty well, one of these times want to try the bigger model - again an economical option if you need to shoot in the dark!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management