DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How would you ...

I just bought a couple of halogen work lights from Home Depot and am really pleased with the results. They're very solidly made and give a fairly even, broad light that didn't appear to change color temperature when I used a little $3 dimmer I also bought at Home Depot. They're even designed to be operated in the rain. Anyway, I'm very pleased with these lights -- $13 each including two lamps! -- but I just wish I could figure out a way to get barn doors on them. I was thinking I would buy a couple of old beat up barn doors off of Ebay and permanently attach them somehow. Anybody have any ideas? Glue or epoxy would probably just melt, even though they don't get all that hot. They're only 250 watts. Is there any adhesive that could handle these kinds of temperatures? I was even thinking of attaching the accessory holder made for the 650w Teenie Mole and then the barndoors could even be rotated, but that seems like kind of a lot of money to invest in a light like this.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Marco - I've been thinking of the same thing. I'm leaning toward riveting a hinge on the casing or modifying the safety grid somehow.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

When I have had to use lights like these, I just use black foil to work as barn boors. You want some welders gloves though, if you need to adjust the foil after the light has been on a while.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Chimera Lighting

Simple is best

bogen makes a double clip clamp

get a few of those and a piece of metal or blackwrap..

actually black wrap is all you need.
You home depot lighters... I love you..

Gam and Rosco both make black wrap.. black tin foil is all you need..

and just as a note..
accesories make the light
and that is the limitation of the cheap home depot light..
Light banks brellas gels.. scrims. cookoloris,
beside color temp flux
but all these things aside...

rock on my home depot warriors..
Innovation comes from invention.....
peace

OH wait.. depending on what you can attach too... Lowel makes a set of clip on barn doors for the tota light.. seek them out Depot warriors..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management