DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Suggestions for lighting practice

HI, all.

Are there any suggestions for what to use (in lieu of a real person) when practicing interview setups for lighting? I not yet ready to submit someone to my slow experimenting, and would prefer to use a static item, but what? A stuffed animal propped on top of books? ANy and all clever suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Maureen Futtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Off with their heads!

Try a couple styrofoam heads with a cheap wig, actually, buy 2 cheap wigs. One light haired and one dark.

You can find the heads and maybe even the wigs at a beauty supply store. Find paint comparable to a white and a black person, paint the heads and and go to town.

If you can find it, I would try to get a head with the semblance of a nose so you can deal with the shadows created when lighting.

You might even want to talk to some of the folks at stores like Neimann Marcus and the like where they have mannequins. Sometimes they have a buch lying around in their basements collecting dust and might be willing to part with a couple.

RB
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rick's suggestions are excellent. Do be sure to try to get blonde and dark brunette or black hair on those dummies. The lighting techniques for each is slightly distinct.

One additional (free) resource, if you've not seen it, is Bill Holshevnikoff's brochure, "The Power of Lighting". This brochure is often included with Arri lighting kits. Bill gives some very good seminars at trade shows and other events. You can download the brochure from his site. Well worth the time and paper.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

We're on the same wavelength. I've been trying to find a couple of those creepy plastic heads with real hair that hairstylists use to train on. I never thought of just getting a couple of wigs and styrofoam heads. I'm also always looking for broken down mannequins.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

You could also try some full-face halloween masks. Try to get some "normal-looking" ones, not too gory etc...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Chimera Lighting

We believe in you!!! Just grab somebody!!!!

People will help you more than you might ever imagine...

Just ask them.....

If you want to try any of our products free of charge to use for a while and let me know what you think= just let me know and I will ship you some thing on memo. Maybe our Item 8000 Softbank kit.
Just go for it girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management