DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Airport project - portable lighting advice needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/230898-airport-project-portable-lighting-advice-needed.html)

James Binder April 23rd, 2009 03:26 PM

Airport project - portable lighting advice needed

I’m going to be shooting video in an airport terminal, mostly b-roll stuff. I have several setups throughout the terminal to cover in a shot amount of time.

I will be recording people (picking up bags, ticket counter workers, people interacting, etc) and need a good source of light(s) that is very portable. I don’t want to use a top of camera mounted ENG light. This project is more film like in style. I need to be able to throw some light where needed (on subjects, faces, etc) while keeping a film look.

The terminal has lots of natural light coming in from the windows and fluorescents overhead.

Since I will be in many locations/setups throughout the terminal, is there anything hand held or battery powered that can work?

I’d appreciate any feedback anyone might have. Specifically, what types of instruments considering all of the above...

Thanks!

Battle Vaughan April 23rd, 2009 03:45 PM

Your airports are pretty crowded, I know at MIA we would not be able to set up light stands with people milling about...perhaps (1) you can press an assistant into service to hold and point the light(s) and (2) being in NYC should have no problem renting appropriate gear, probably a film production rental place there could show you what they have available...just a thought..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

James Binder April 23rd, 2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1129547)
Your airports are pretty crowded, I know at MIA we would not be able to set up light stands with people milling about...perhaps (1) you can press an assistant into service to hold and point the light(s) and (2) being in NYC should have no problem renting appropriate gear, probably a film production rental place there could show you what they have available...just a thought..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Thanks for the input. Was looking for a tad more specific info on which lights considering the environment, run and gun nature of the shoot as well as the mixture of light present.

Thanks

Eric Stemen April 23rd, 2009 05:19 PM

The Cool Lights 600 LEDs are a very portable light source, I love mine.

Matt Gottshalk April 23rd, 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Stemen (Post 1129787)
The Cool Lights 600 LEDs are a very portable light source, I love mine.

+1 I have three and they rock.

Dean Sensui April 24th, 2009 04:28 AM

I'll add my vote to the CoolLights. Put a minus 1/2 green on them and they will provide a decent match to daylight.

With a slight diffuser it should work nice on interviews.

Have a couple of assistants hold them for you on stands and you can set up quickly without impeding traffic.

James Binder April 24th, 2009 11:14 AM

Thanks Dean, Matt, Eric, Battle --

Anyone know of a rental place (cool lights) in NYC?

How about Kino's for this type of thing? Not as portable?

Thanks --

PS -- I've always used hard light/tungsten and now trying to transition away...

Bill Pryor April 24th, 2009 01:00 PM

I have some Flolight 500LEDs and I agree, LEDs are great. I've also used Kinos and Lowel Caselight fluorescents. All are nice for lighting people. But they don't have much of a throw. If you're dealing with fairly closeup shots and can get you lights in pretty close, fine. Otherwise you'd be better off going with something like Lowel DPs or maybe a couple of small HMIs. This is assuming you have all the clearance needed to shoot in a terminal and people to tape down cords and hold the lights so nobody knocks them over.

LEDs will work off batteries, and fluorescents also. For tungsten lights you'd need some serious battery power to go any length of time. The rental houses I know about usually have Kino for fluorescents and Litepanels for LEDs in their rental stock.

Our rental house where I live has Litepanels with the V-mount battery mount on the back, so you can rent the lights as well as standard BPL type batteries to hook onto the back of the light. This would be your most portable solution. And you could rent a set of batteries and charger so you'd always have fresh batteries if they run down. This would be your most portable solution, as well as the safest because you wouldn't need any cords at all. But as I mentioned, LEDs and fluorescents don't have a very long throw. Still, I often use them in places that might be similar to a 2-shot of a customer and ticket person at an airline ticket counter. I can usually get the key light in close enough to override the ambient light, then put a little fill on the other side and a background light where needed.