Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

On-Camera light for DVX

Hi folks,
Anyone know of any retail stores that sell on-camera lights for the DVX or do I need to special order them from places like B&H?

Thanks, this is sort of an emergency:(
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nick,
To my knowledge there are no on-cam lights specifically for the DVX. That is, whatever you select will require some external power source, most likely a 12v battery. Canon makes a small 10w light that mounts to the shoe and runs directly off of Canon BP-series 7.2v batteries. Of course you would need to get batteries and a charger, but it might represent something easily purchased in a retail photo/video store. I'd be surprised to find higher models of video lights available in a store.

I've no knowledge of Brownsville, Texas so I cannot point you toward a store.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #3
New Boot

I located 2 types of universal camcorder lights at Best Buy that fit the mount shoe on the DVX. One is a Sima 3 Watt and they have 15 Watt light (might be Pro Line or something...can't remember the brand right now).
Richard Bernhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #4
Major Player

But are they good enough to get decent lighting at night like at clubs and stuff? I had to shoot a week with a half-working light and it sucked.

Let me know.
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Just picked it up last week. Will be shooting some external night footage this week to test out using on board light with existing street lights. I will post results later. I have checked all the local camera and electronics stores, but only came up with this 15w light for now.

I will try several different test using various settings. What settings has anyone had luck with using a on board light and existing light sources? Will be filming 24p and 30p plus will try some gain and white balance adjustments. Just testing for an actual training video planned for the next few weeks.
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I was shooting at 60i with the iris all the way opened (and sometimes the gain all the way) and it still sucked sometimes when I had no light.

Will await your review. Thanks.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #7
New Boot

Picked up the 15W light from Best Buy for night shoot...in almost pitch black with no time to white balance...no street lights...no city or horizon lights...just flipped the cam on set for progressive at 30fps and all other settings left to default and using the 15W light ended up with a really good picture. Only problem is the light is only good for 15 minutes illumination. Uses its own battery that takes 6 hours to charges only to provide 15 minutes. Will try a Bescor 645L on next couple of shoots which has a separate battery that should provide at least an hour or so. I heard that most of the on board lights available are slightly bulky when placed on the dvx100a compared to larger DV cams but they will work from what I have been told. Only way to know is to try.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Richard --

If you see this...

Was that the Sunpak 15W light you were using? The one shaped kind of like a little cannon?

If so, have you used it again? I just bought a Sunpak 15W on-cam light today and would like to read your opinion.

BTW: As for the "15-minute" battery, I stopped by a battery store today that told me they could build a 1500 milliamp Ni-Cd battery for the SunPak (over twice the juice of the battery that comes with it) for $15.00 -- I'm guessing that'll probably get me me 30 to 40 minutes of light.
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management