DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Wilkinson's 48 LED Light (UK) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/234787-wilkinsons-48-led-light-uk.html)

Andy Wilkinson May 6th, 2009 10:06 AM

Wilkinson's 48 LED Light (UK)

No relation by the way!

I was using my new LitePanels Micro LED light yesterday (off the EX3 and on a mini-tripod on a lab bench to light some detailed close up lab gear for the current corporate shoot I'm doing) and the Lab Manager said "that's a sweet little light, how much?" When I told her about £250 quid she laughed and told me that Wilkinson's (UK DIY/Hardware type store chain) had an LED light for £3.99.

So guess what I bought today!

It's a white disc shaped unit, about 13cm diameter (5 inches) and about 2 cm thick. Takes 3 AA batteries to power 48 LEDs in two rings of 24 each. The switch allows inner, outer or both rings on (or all off at each push). There are 2 magnets on the back for mounting on any magnetic surface and a central hole about 3.5 cm (1.25 inches across) for other hanging/mounting ideas.

The LEDs are not quite as bright as my LitePanels Micro and are much more blue in hue (and only seem to glow in the middle, not all over like on the LPM) but for 4 quid it's going in the kit bag (...especially as it weights nothing). If I have n't used it in 6 months, no loss and it'll go in the shed. If I ever get time I'll post a pic of the unit.

I've seen some of the US threads on adapting lighting from places like Home Depot etc. but I can't help wondering if there is another cheap (but better) LED light that might be suitable for our video needs here in the UK.

Dave Blackhurst May 6th, 2009 11:08 AM

Sounds like the infamous "UFO" camping light... very blue, very little throw, and good for... sheds and camping.

Spend a little more, get the Sima LED light, more neutral light, good throw, small, and actually usable.

Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for, and all LED's are not the same.

Andy Wilkinson May 6th, 2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1138645)
Spend a little more, get the Sima LED light, more neutral light, good throw, small, and actually usable.

Actually, I already have one of those! (bought in Circuit City - when they existed - on one of my numerous business trips to the States a couple of years or so ago in a former life).

The LitePanel Micro is a good step up from that (but, for sure, the Wilkinson's UFO light is not as good).

Dave Blackhurst May 7th, 2009 12:25 PM

If you've got the "10" version, it's not that exciting, the "20" version has more LEDs and is actually pretty effective.

Andy Wilkinson May 7th, 2009 01:05 PM

Yep, you're right. Just had a look and it's the 10 version (which has 9 LEDs). "Not that exciting" would be a bit of an understatement!

Dave Blackhurst May 7th, 2009 05:11 PM

Yep - the 9 LED version is just about enough to give a bit of "help".

The bigger one has 36 LEDs and packs a pretty decent punch for the price, plus you can stack them together as needed for more. Can't beat the bang for the buck (or pound!).