Suggestions on a starter, 3 pc. Light Kit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 26th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #1

Suggestions on a starter, 3 pc. Light Kit?

In regards to miscellaneous documentary videography,

any suggestions on an economical but good quality starter 3 pc. light kit
to use with the GL-2?

Thanks,
Dan
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Chimera Lighting

There are many options...

Most options in lighting depend on budget and knowhow.
You can consider anything from a smith vector kit or lowel kit or jtl and other people make kits.
Long range view of your artistic goals is a important consideration in what you buy.
Cheap is cheap. Sometimes cheap is good.
EX. Tota lights..... if you take care of them, under most use situations they will serve for many years.
They work great in LIGHTBANKS, you can put gels on them, bounce them off ceilings or through LIGHTPANELS.
Now, this could go on forever but besides being a CHIMERA guy, I worked at BH, I worked for other lighting companies.
I like to help people.
If you email me I will help you as much as I can.
Chimera is making a 24x32 kit with LIGHTTOOL grids that could be a part of an overall set up. It is called ITEM 8000.
Peace.
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3

ok, thanks Rich. Maybe I'll check out your website and email you. :) Dan

If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to drop them by.
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #4

suggest a light kit

Anyone else have any suggestions for a light kit for digital video?
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm pretty sure that cameraman Wayne Orr recommended this kit from JTL months ago here or elsewhere:

http://www.adorama.com/JTELK.html?promocode=A

It's USD$500, with three lights, three small soft boxes with connectors, three stands, three 500W lamps and a soft carry case. It's on my short-term wish list right now.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you David for nice words. Indeed, I recommended the JTL Everlight Kit as a good value for the novice cameraman on a budget. So far nothing has caused me to change my opinion. It is not the rugged, top-of-the-line, quality of Chimera, but it allows you to get three lamps at a reasonable price. And you can do a lot with those three lamps. For a short tutorial check out http://www.digitalprods.com/LSmontage

Dan can find a great deal of comment about this kit by searching this forum.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #7
Major Player

anyone know anything about briteks? they're all over ebay... seem similar to the jtls>?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM   #8
Tourist

entry level light

Hey...I just picked up a 3 pc Lowel Pro Light kit for myself. I chose it because I don't need clunky OMNIs and I am not lighting up stadiums anytime soon. I like the Pro Lights because they are small and offer good light control for most productions. They also are pretty rugged and easy to transport as well. But...that's my opinion and look around for what suits your needs and price. You can always get accessories and make your own odds and ends as well. Good luck...

B K
Bryan Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Trustee

I read of a guy who got this one and liked it. You can
get accessory barndoors for it, too. He related that the stands are sturdy. Kit with barndoors would
be about $300.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=298604&is=REG
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #10
New Boot

I curious about the advantage of big company light kits (such as from Mole-Richardson or Chimera) vs. cheaper ones that seem to be comparable.

I have an XL1S and would like to shoot some docs and shorts in the future. I don't need to shoot huge scenes, lots of people, or long dolly shots. Just more basic set-ups. I know little about lighting but want to learn. The best way is to read a book and then practice hands-on, right?

I don't have a lot to spend but I'd like a 3 piece kit. I see companies on Ebay offering this type of kit for about $400-$500: 2 500watts (with cables and cooling fans), 1 250watt (with cable and cooling fan), 3 light stands, 3 umbrellas, 3 barndoors.
I see the basic equivalent on Mole's site for about $1900.

Shouldn't I buy a cheaper kit to learn with and in the future switch to a more comprehensive, heavy-duty kit?
Dirk Vanfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Dirk, I hope you will read my earlier post in this thread and check out the JTL Everlight Kit, which is my recommendation for folks in your position. This is a decent starter kit that should serve you well as you learn lighting. You can add to it with a LTM Pepper 400, which will give you a good fresnel for more directional light. Use one of the JTL light stands till you need to add an additional light stand. You can find the Everlight kit at adorama.com or on e-bay. But DO NOT purchase the JTL kit or any other light that comes with a cooling fan. The fan will make enough noise as to render sound recording impossible. Fire up three of them and it will sound like you are shooting in the midst of a hornet's nest.

There are lots of good links in these pages to lighting tips and tutorials.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #12
New Boot

Wayne,

You say not to purchase any that use a cooling fan, but an earlier post recommended this unit:

When I followed the link, it says one of the features is "Ultra quiet cooling fan." So, is this a good one or not?

Are there one's where you can control the cooling fan separately? Maybe run the fan and light while you are setting up the lights, then switch the fan off during takes?
Dirk Vanfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #13
Major Player

Dirk, there is a great deal of information on this kit in these threads, which discuss just about everything. I am sorry if one misled you to believe you should use the units with the fans, but I am here to tell you, absolutely not. The supplied 500 watt bulbs do not put out so much heat that it becomes an issue, and the units with the fans will not shut off, as I recall. Please, be sure not to get the units with fans. You will not be happy. There are a couple of other "typos" in that blurb at Adorama. There are no 250 watt bulbs available, and the highest wattage you should use in them is 750 watts. You will need to open up the top a bit extra with the 750 bulbs to let the heat out, or the circuit will trip eventually. So far, no one has found this to be a problem, to my knowledge.

You can find these kits at a few photo shops in the Los Angeles area. I originally found them at Reseda Photo, in Reseda (Sherman Way, just west of Reseda Blvd.)

But check the posts in this forum for more information. And you can see some pictures I shot with this kit at http://www.digitalprods.com/LSmontage

Wayne
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #14
Regular Crew

sorry wayne, i'm a little confused. so is the link dirk gave the correct version without the fans? and are there any 500 watt 3200k bulbs i can buy? i'm ready to buy! thanks!

Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #15
Major Player

James, I suggest you phone Adorama direct and question them about the kit, and let them know you do not want the fans. Others have had good service from Adorama, so I am sure you can get what you are looking for.

In regards to the 3200K versus 3000K bulbs, there are a number of options out there, but I would not be in a rush to go to the 32K bulbs. The difference is so slight as to be practically zero. Remember that 32K bulbs burn brighter, and therefore last a significantly shorter length of time.

But if you feel you can't live without the 3200K bulbs, one source (courtesy of Will Fastie) is: "I bought two FLK 575W bulbs from Production Advantage, a source often mentioned here, for $15 each, about $1 more than the EHD."

Also, you can try Bulbtronics for the EHD bulbs with a G-9 base.

And please let us know your reaction to the Everlight Kit after you crank it up, James. Same goes to Dirk.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management