DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Rifa Lights and egg crate solutions???

I have several Lowel Rifa lights of varying sizes and LOVE them! They put off a wonderful soft light that is very pleasing to work with just about every where. But they can get a bit unruly and spill light on places you don't need or want it sometimes. The solution of course is egg crates, but man Lowel is proud of theirs. Any options for some more affordable solutions?
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Trustee

I'm totally with you on this one Jerry. I'd also be really interested to know if there are any solutions on the cheap that anyone has come up with.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Trustee

DIY? Use thin foamcore rectangle pieces, cut slots in them, assemble them together to make a very light, yet rigid egg crate.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Trustee

There are aftermarket cloth grid solutions for Chimeras. You mmight be able to rig them on the Rifa. Check out Photoflex to see if they have a size which fits your Rifa. You can also just plan on using a solid flags to control spill from the light as well
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've tried several 3rd party eggcrates, including Photoflex. Nothing fits the Rifas, mostly because they're a different shape (square instead of rectangular). The same problem applies to gels by the way. Lowel gels for the Rifa are very expensive compared to gel cuts from the big manufacturers that fit rectangular softboxes just fine. I've ended up buying full rolls of gels when needed...
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Trustee

Well this goes to show that you are not just buying a light but a system and manufacturers make all sorts of proprietary choices which lock you into buying what works for their lights. Lighttools seems to have one (probably make it for Lowel)

Lighttools® - The source of Lighttools® Soft Egg Crates® for complete soft light control.

Not sure how much money you can save by buying an aftermarket solution. May be worth contacting Photoflex and asking if they are coming out with one.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin View Post
I've tried several 3rd party eggcrates, including Photoflex. Nothing fits the Rifas, mostly because they're a different shape (square instead of rectangular). The same problem applies to gels by the way. Lowel gels for the Rifa are very expensive compared to gel cuts from the big manufacturers that fit rectangular softboxes just fine. I've ended up buying full rolls of gels when needed...

The egg crates I can understand (almost) on the cost as everyone for almost every gird wants a pretty penny for them, but the gel thing gets under my skin a little, 100 bucks for three gels for the 88..... That seems unreasonable to me and I do the same thing you do for that. Through some experimenting I have found that a large cardboard flag set up with my Lobo on a separate stand (I have lots of those around) will accomplish the job for the most part. Just goes to show that almost anything can be fixed with some Duct (Gaffers) tape and cardboard.... LOL
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I generally like the Rifas but that is the one thing that I really dislike about them, the cost of their egg crates. Now, sure, the five egg crates that I bought for all of my Chimeras weren't cheap either but at least the smalls are 24 x 36 instead of the measley 24 x 24 that you pay even more for for a small Rifa.

I think a lot of people forget about this with the Rifas as well. A 2' x 2' isn't as soft of a source as a small Chimera either, it is going to be harsher and more specular. A lot to like about the Rifas but I prefer my Chimeras and a 650 instead although if you are flying, the Rifas aren't bad at all.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Westcott is also extremely "Proud" of their egg crates. Wow. Calling Mumbai e-bay...
Anyone have an angle on affordable solutions?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Major Player

I still have not found a solution save for flagging them with foam core. I did find a gel solution from a local lighting house.48 inch wide by 25 foot long roll of half blue for 160 dollars.
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I know three pros with the Rifas. All have stepped up to the plate and paid for the Lowel egg crates for them. Have not seen anything less expensive.

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have the eggcrates for my Rifa's. They are expensive, but they are necessary.

Ben Ruffell
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM   #13
Tourist

Re: Rifa Lights and egg crate solutions???

Hi
I have Lighttools Soft Egg Crates for Rifa 55 and Rifa 88 for sale.
The lights are sold but I still have the egg crates. They are in perfect condition.
Happy to sell for 75% of Lighttools on-line price.
Please email me at peter_at_room8_dot_co_dot_nz
Peter Mayo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management