Hey guys,
I'm looking for a nice video lighting kit. I have 2 options :

- I can buy 3 Redhead lamps (800 Watt & 3200 K) with barn-doors

Or

- 3 video Softbox lamps (5500 K)

They both have a very good price.
What do you suggest ?
I really don't know what to choose :
I would prefer the Redheads with the Barn-doors because of the better control of light, but the softboxes are really good for a nicer light ... hmm ...
What about the K-value ?
Is 5500 K better then 3200 K of doesn't it matter if you just put it right in your camera ?
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Trustee

I would suggest that you do a little more research.
You do have more options than just those two kits you listed.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I know there is a lot more to find, but these 2 I can have them for a cheap price.
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Trustee

I wouldn't put all your money into one type of light. If I were you, I would buy one of each except that they are different color temperatures. Honestly, the only cheap lights I would recommend are those from coollights.biz and Lowel pro-lights. The two kinds of light you need are "hard" and "soft" for accent lighting with the "hard" and key lighting with the "soft" larger source like the softbox. You also need to choose whether or not you will be shooting where sunlight can come into your shots. If you use daylight temperature fixtures, you can shoot where there is available sunlight.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Contributor

You really need to get some basics about lighting before you buy anything. I'd get the Lowel book about lighting they sell on their website. The 5500šK lights are for when you want to use daylight, 3200 is tungsten obviously, much warmer color temperature.

You're also looking at two different types of lights entirely. The softlights are nice for shooting interviews, closeups of people. The open face hard lights have a longer throw but can be diffused for closeups. Since the softboxes are daylight, I'd assume they're probably fluorescents, which means a nice soft cool light, but not much throw at all.

Also, if those 3 tungsten lights are under $1K and are 800 watts and you're in the U.S., they're probably not real Redheads, more likely the Chinese knockoffs. They're OK but they aren't really Redheads, which are made by Ianiaro and are readily available most anyplace except the U.S.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Donīt be to stingy. Itīs better to spend a little more money on something really good, than to just buy something for is low price
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management