DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Litepanels Miniplus vs Micropro

why do people more on the professional side of lighting seem to favor the miniplus over the micropro from my readings on the interweb?

The micropro is much cheaper, puts out more light and is lighter because you dont have a huge battery plate and camera batteries attached to it. I use it on a stand as a hair light all the time and I love it. I can mount it on my camera and not have it weigh the thing down (as much)

Is there something im missing? It seems like these two products overlap in their function.
Dan Lukehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

my guess

I haven't used the micro or micro pro yet, but I notice that most people posting about them on the Internet use the term "flimsy" to describe the plastic housing. Even though I have yet to see a post about a micro or micro pro actually breaking, the perceived risk is probably enough to drive away people who make a living running from location to location.

That said, I haven't ruled out getting one for my A1.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Dan – Most busy professional users lean towards using industry standard equipment, and one of the criteria for most equipment purchases other than what it is designed to do, is build quality and reputable dealer support. Of course industry standard products tend to have features that can be used along with other professional products.

When looking to purchase a range of LED lighting units I ended up doing a review on various LED lighting products. Have a look; it would give you at least one company’s take on things…

http://www.studioscotland.com/litepan_review.htm

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't have MicroPro but LP Micro. It is what really refer as "flimsy". Not just the casting but the entire product is flimsy. My dimmer dial switch broke twice already. The casing, filter holder, shoe adapter.. everything plastic and can break open with very little force with your finger. Also the idea of using AAA batteries as video lighting just won't work well for me.

The mini seems more well constructed but the price is way high.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reviews stu. Pretty cool.

Even though it is plastic and it does feel poorly made, it seems like it would be pretty hard to actually break the light in reality aside from the things that would break most any light.

I like that I can power it for 8 hours on AAs too on max power. Unlike Takey, I like having batteries for an on camera light. I just use my rechargeable ones I had about the house. I subscribe to the philosophy that it does not matter what goes on behind the camera that matters, its the results on the screen. Even though I have only used the mini plus once, the micro pro puts out more light and stays on longer. Paying more for less on camera impact isnt something I like. Even if the other might last 20% longer.

I was thinking about getting 4 used daylight 1x1's as my lighting kit for $4500. I am a one man band that mostly shoots where im not allowed and have little power. *scratches chin in thought*
Dan Lukehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Don't trust that spec for their AA battery operating time. i have 2400mah Song NiMH rechargable batteries. I can get only 50 minutes at max brightness. Then when it nears the end of life, the light starts to flicker. The flickerness will be recorded to the video. That's my experience with the LP Micro. I don't have MicroPro so I can't speak for that.

I am now using Comer LED lights. It's cheaper than LP MicroPro but the output is so much better. You can take a look at these videos I compared with 6 different on-camera lights

YouTube - 6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout - Test #1 Small Room

YouTube - 6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout - Test #2 Medium Size Room

I'm selling them so I might sound a bit biased. If you search on Comer 1800 in the forum, you can see many people are very happy with the Comer lights compared to the Sony LED light the LP Micro.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lukehart View Post

I was thinking about getting 4 used daylight 1x1's as my lighting kit for $4500. I am a one man band that mostly shoots where im not allowed and have little power. *scratches chin in thought*
I recently bought two of the Coollights LED600 lights (as reviewed in the excellent review posted above/below). They are excellent, and the price is unmatchable, coming with barn doors, dimmer, bank switching, AC adapter, and (optional) battery plate for V-Lock or AB batteries, and a very sturdy carrying case that holds everything.

Does $4500 include the complete kit with case and barn doors. Does it include batteries and charger? For less money you can get 4 CoolLights LED600s, 4 batteries and charger (the least expensive might be a V-lock system from Swit or one of the lesser priced reputable companies, but the AB Dionic 90s can be bought and still stay under $4500) and pay less.

They come in flood or spot versions, as explained on the website:
LED Series - Cool Lights USA

I also recently bought a MicroBeam 128 from PrompterPeople. I used it a few days ago on an XH-A1 with a Century .6x WA adapter with a couple of pieces of diffusion. It provided full-frame coverage up close and gave a very nice soft light outside at night. The MicroBeam 256 was recently added to the line-up. The lights are metal, but still very light, and can be ordered with any of the standard battery plates (Sony, Panasonic, etc.) And compared to LitePanels, the price is very cheap:
LED Lighting

Prompter People also make 500 and 1000 LED square panels. I prefer the CoolLights panels, but the 1000 LED from Prompter People might be right for some uses.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

last week, a Anton Bauer rep showed a light AB is coming out with. it's made by LP but the bigger unit will mount on their ultralight 2 base. unit didnt seem flimsey to me in a quick look.
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

LP made great professional lighting products. All the flimsy remarks are for the LP Micro only.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I also recently bought a MicroBeam 128 from PrompterPeople. I used it a few days ago on an XH-A1 with a Century .6x WA adapter with a couple of pieces of diffusion.
Jack, how'd you find the color balance on the MB 128? Was it 5600K or did it have a green tint to it?
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for your comments on the LED 600! We recently commissioned someone to shoot some example videos for us up in Canada. Particularly showcasing the LED600 and what it can do, but some other of our products in there.

In the first segment for example, it shows how a flood 5600K LED 600 can be used as a daylight fill outside when there isn't direct sunshine on a person. The spot would have been even more power. This would be a place where you might need a reflector fill but no sun to reflect. I think its one of the most powerful LED lights of its size out there and not many, even in this size range, can be used like this.

Here is the video:

http://www.coollights.biz/avresources/LEDTests1Big.mp4
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rusk View Post
Jack, how'd you find the color balance on the MB 128? Was it 5600K or did it have a green tint to it?
I have not looked closely in the computer, but during shooting I did not notice any problem. At night there were signs nearby, and miscellaneous not bright, extraneous light sources.

I put the light the next day during daylight as a fill up close, and I also did not notice any problem with the color. However, I won't know for sure until I see the footage in the computer, but in general, for what I need, there was no problem.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management