DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Various lighting questions & answers from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/242-various-lighting-questions-answers-2004-a.html)

Marco Leavitt June 18th, 2004 12:25 PM

Nanotech LED research

Here's a press release about a collaboration between RPI and Evident Technologies to develop LED technology that incorporates quantum dot nanomaterials. If successful, the technology will feature "tunable" color properties.

http://tinyurl.com/3fr5l

Allen Brodsky June 21st, 2004 07:14 AM

Case for Sony 10/20W light?

For those who use the Sony HVL-20DW2 10/20Watt video light, what do you use for a case or wrap for this light? I want something to use to avoid scratches while transporting in my kit bag.
I generally use socks to protect small items like this.
Great on-camera light, by the way, and an excellent value.

Nawaf Alali June 26th, 2004 05:30 AM

How to light for Music Video Clips?

I know there isnt a certain answer for this question, but do you guys have general tips for lighting a music video clip?

I noticed that alot of video clips these days use Ring Flash/Light (you can see the reflection in the singer's glasses). I'd like some tips on that (Brands.. Best way to use them.. etc).

I've been watching "Behind the scenes" of the clips, and it's helping alot. But I also wanna hear your thoughts about this issue.

Ken Tanaka June 26th, 2004 10:13 AM

I believe that the "ring" light is a Kino Flo Kamio light. I think they are sold in a couple of sizes and can be powered from a 12v source. They are not cheap but are often rentable. Check Kino's site.

Jacques Mersereau June 28th, 2004 07:40 AM

Lighting for music videos depends on many things. If it's a band, you
usually need some kind of stage set/location to capture the band's performance.
How you light it depends on the music, the location, the image you
are trying to get across, etc.

A single artist video can take you all over the place to many locations and
settings. Each of those has to be lighted as if it were a movie set.
This can take from minutes to hours to days for EACH setup and/or camera angle.
The lighting design can be anything from a single light for dramatic effect to
dozens (or hundreds) of instruments for grandeur. The main thing here
is to make the star look as good as possible. People with big noses or poor skin
are many times lighted with what's known as 'beauty lighting'.
That type of lighting is flat, soft, head on so it doesn't cast shadows
and a bit over exposed. Beauty lightng makes the nose disappear into the face,
the skin smoother and the eyes pop.

The circular light you've seen in the eyes of many solo artists (usually women)
like Ken T. said are Kine flo, though that is usually not the only
light used. Normally there will be an additional softbox(es), back light and
background lights as a single front light isn't the best look although a recent
Shania Twain video features a guy with a single on camera light circling
her. Of course with her looks you could also dress her in rags and she'd
still look awesome.

Stephen van Vuuren June 28th, 2004 10:56 PM

What cool bulbs would work in Lowel Mid-L?

I'm eyeing this kit for it small size. I like extremely low key, naturalistic lighting for narrative.

http://www.lowel.com/kits/l-lightMid-L.html

It state E26 base bulbs will fit, so I'm wondering if I can use flourescents for cool temps. Anyone use this kit?

Jack Barker July 4th, 2004 10:43 PM

Light Head Case/s?

I'm looking for the right case for 4 fresnel heads, (2) 650W - 10"w x 7.5"h x 8"d and (2) 300W - 8.5"w x 7"h x 7"d. These dims are looking from the front and include the focus arms, built-in scrim holder, etc. I've seen a couple of decent Cordura nylon soft cases that would hold them and some scrims, but I'm worried about having to replace a broken fresnel lens if the case should ever get a good knock.

I just want a case for the heads, cables and a few accessories - the stands have their own case.

Am I worrying needlessly, or do you guys use hard cases for your heads? I've seen Walter Graf's all-in-one wonder, but that doesn't make me feel any more confident.

Patrick Gault July 4th, 2004 10:59 PM

If your worried, go with a hard shell case. It may be worth the peace of mind. I use a Pelican PCS104 . Its similar to what Walter Graff uses, only smaller. The 104 is well padded and seems very durable so far. The Pelican Hard Cases are much cheaper. I bought my 104 used on eBay and got a great deal.

Adam Lawrence July 15th, 2004 01:39 PM

non-textbook lighting methods

hello all,

I will be shooting some invterviews next week and they will be interior, most likely bar or nightclub enviroments (so fairly dark atmosphere)

Ive done many using 3-point based techniques and needless to say thats fairly boring, especially for the type of interviews what i will be doing. I want these to be more mood-like and theatrical than your average "talking-head" production.

Is there any literature online or published that anyone can reccomend? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

John Locke July 16th, 2004 10:31 PM

"Dirty Dozen" bamboo flares?

Okay, old-timers... here's a question for you. I was watching a "making of" show on "The Dirty Dozen" today and they showed several guys holding up what looked to be 10 to 15 foot high bamboo poles, and at the top end of them were what looked to be emergency flares...but probably not due to the short burn time of flares. They used it during the filming of the final Nazi Chateau scene--at night.

What are those things? And were they primarily for lighting or smoke?

Rick Bravo July 19th, 2004 09:26 PM

The smoke from burning flares is highly toxic so you would not want your actors and crew working in it.

They are primarily for lighting. There are various places that this technique is used at the end of the movie.

First, when Bravos blows up the convoy, Posey fires an illumination flare into the sky.

Second, when they blow up all the bad guys in the bunker after soaking them with gasoline, there are multiple explosions and fires. The flare's high intensity light, combined with the red color and the erratic flickering is the perfect solution to this lighting dilema.

The downside is that dripping flare juice can really ruin the rest of your day!

RB

Joseph W. Carney Jr July 25th, 2004 02:31 PM

NRG vs. Lowel

I recently visited Zotz and came across thier 4k light setup the price was great but I never used this brand. I usually use the Lowel DP set and have had no problems with them. I know there are a lot of people that are not fans of Lowel but How does NRG compare.

Aaron Koolen July 29th, 2004 06:17 PM

Lighting school site (photoflex sponsored)

Looks interesting. Step by step lessons on lighting specific setups.

Web Photo School

Aaron

Chris McKee July 30th, 2004 12:34 AM

I signed up a while ago... great for lighting-retarded people like me. Lots of great ideas.

Nick Medrano July 30th, 2004 08:07 PM

Kino Flo lamp question

Hi folks,
I have the Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 and I have a lamp case that came with it. However, I can not carry more than 6 lamps in that case and I have a total of 10 lamps. Is it okay if I left the other lamps in my Kino Flo Fixture as storage? Or, do they have to go in the case? I think I've seen people leave them in the fixture when transporting equipment from location to location.

Comments? Thanks.