Various lighting questions & answers from 2004 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Marco,

As I'm writing this, I'm looking at an Arri 650 light hanging from the ceiling in the office in which I work. There are 4 lights hanging from our ceiling grid here, 2 of them on downrods. If the grid was hung properly, you should have no problem.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Cool. Thanks.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #78
Regular Crew

EZ Flag light control

Nice little french flags with clamp, stud or shoe mounts with 3 lengths to choose from.

www.ezprompter.com
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #79
Major Player

lighting in nz

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a basic lighting kit and I'm in auckland , NZ. Anyone know where to go, or if i order online which lights accept dual voltage?

Thanks in advance
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #80
Major Player

Save your money. www.flarebuster.com
Starting at around 20 bucks.

Wayne Orr
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #81
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I agree with Wayne. I've had a Flare Buster for a couple of years. Very light, very compact, very versatile, very inexpensive.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #82
Major Player

lightstands

Ok i just got a couple LTM 100 peppers. Now the two lightstands I'm looking at are the Manfrotto 001 Nano stand or an import stand called WF (wei Fang) i believe. Anyone had any experiences with either?
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Ive got three Manfrotto 156 stands for my LTM 300's. They seem to work fine for these though probably a bit lightweight if you wanted to fit something larger later on.
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Light Attatchment w/ Shotgun mic??

I currently use a GL2 and am considering purchase of a VX2100 as a second cam. I currently use a shotgun mic (Azden) mounted to the onboard shoe on the GL2.

I am also ready to invest in a lighting system. Problem is, my shoe is already taken by the mic. What can I do to mount BOTH a high quality mic AND a light to these cameras? Does someone make some sort of split-shoe or double shoe adaptor?

I'm not worried about power, just the physical mounting of the hardware.

This setup will be used mainly for weddings, and it must look professional (not some duct-taped basement built rig that I could set up myself).

This problem alone is almost justification enough to purchase a shoulder-brick style cam. ?!??!

Thanks!
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #85
Regular Crew

dual mount

Kevin:

BH has these, they are adapters for the hot shoe that gives you a dual mount (or even tri mount) out of the hot shoe. They run about 25-35 I think, and cool lux is one of the makers I beleive...you even get to buy from a sponser :)

M
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #86
New Boot

Lowell portrait kit in BH, anyone have or use?

Looking for a decent 'micro' set up to add a JTL softbox to perhaps.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've heard Lowell stands suck, but noticed that the kit comes with Impact stands-are they any better or worse?

I wonder if dimmers can be addded?

Thanks all-

Jeff
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #87
Inner Circle

DV magazine lighting article

There's a great article in this month's issue detailing how to put together an inexpensive, highly compact lighting kit. The whole thing, and there's a LOT of stuff, fits into a 3 foot case. I was surprised at how much Lowel gear this guy has. He also has hardware store flourescents and an ingenious way to clamp them to the stands. It's interesting to see what he does spend money on -- Manfrotto stands and Chimera softboxes. It confirms what I've suspected for a while. If you are going to make do with inexpensive lights, at least get decent stands and softboxes. Using worklights is one thing, but why anybody would want to make a stand out of a two-by-four and a pickle bucket full of cement is beyond me. Anyway, he also mentions putting 200 w lamps in his 100 w Pepper fresnels. I didn't know you could do that. I don't think the article's online yet, but they'll probably put it up some time this month.
Old February 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #88
New Boot

Two lighting questions

1) When using the "Home Depot" lights, such as a 500-watt quartz halogen floodlight, what color do these come across as? Without having used them before, they look somewhat white to me, but are they still basically yellow in nature (as opposed to daylight blue)?

2) How to you determine the lighting potential of a compact fluroscent floodlight. I have a concept of how much light a 650-watt quartz light will give me, but I've seen people using 'tiny' 2x13-watt compact fluroscent floodlights for fill, background lighting, etc. Will the footcandle/lux rating tell the whole story?

Thanks.
--Craig
Craig Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #89
Inner Circle

I'm using two 250w Home Depot work lights, and they seem to mix seamlessly with the 300w lamp in my Tota. I'm just using the lamps that came with the worklights too.
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Whereas 'normal' quartz tungsten halogen lamps intended for photography have a colour temperature of around 3200K, there is another breed of tubular-shaped lamp designed for floodlighting/security applications.

It's been a few years since I used them but I seem to remember these lamps were more like 2900K, so the light looked a bit warmer by comparison. By way of compensation, these lamps had a much longer life.

I noticed that in at least some of these floodlighting lamps, the glass envelope was milky in appearance, and sometimes slightly pinkish.

Hope this is helpful

Al
Al Osmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management