DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Various lighting questions & answers from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/242-various-lighting-questions-answers-2004-a.html)

Richard Veil March 1st, 2004 09:01 PM

What the heck are you talking about..

really.. what kind of stands are you talking about.

Lets put it this way.. What kind of stand do you want.?

Richard Veil March 1st, 2004 09:23 PM

Yea.. I know something about something

What are you trying to do friend?

Bryan McCullough March 1st, 2004 10:54 PM

I plan on making a couple Griff Lights (I think that's right) this week and see how they do.

Jacques Mersereau March 2nd, 2004 09:46 AM

I read that article too and it is a superb example of a road kit
that was put together using years of actual experience.
I don't know if I could ever carry as much in as small a package,
but it let's you know what is actually possible.

A must read IMO.

Barry Rivadue March 3rd, 2004 05:14 PM

Varilux/Photoflex Actiondome question

I have an Actiondome with a speedring designed for a Deedo. It's too small an opening for my Varilux, but I've gotten by with velcro. Would anyone have a more permanent adapter-type solution from a hardware store? I'm not mechanical minded, but I think I can follow instructions. :)

Mike Rehmus March 3rd, 2004 08:08 PM

Their setup (at least the one I bought) allowed me to mount the dome and the varilight pro together onto the camera. Didn't come with a ring.

Gary Walter March 8th, 2004 07:14 PM

Versatile On-Camera Lighting

I am looking to purchase an on-camera light for my XL1s and GL1. I like what Frezzi has to offer (eventhough expensive, I feel you get what you pay for) but am looking for opinions on other brands. I feel the dimmer option is a must and I will be shooting weddings (when allowed to use lifgting) and sporting events. The big question though is what batteries. I want to be able to get two - three hours of lighting per event and it looks like a battery belt is the only option. Any advice from the seasoned lighting guru's would be very helpful.

Thanks

Gary

Ken Tanaka March 8th, 2004 09:17 PM

DV Magazine (April, 2004)

This issue of DV features an article by Walter Graff on assembling a low-cost/highly mobile lighting kit that fits into a single (large) Kata bag. Well worth the read, particularly if you are a runner an' gunner.

At this writing the article is not yet on the DV.com site. There is generally a month delay.

Mike Rehmus March 8th, 2004 11:50 PM

Spend the money and get a HMI light. A NP-1B battery is said to run the Frezzi 18 watter for over 3 hours. Makes for a very light battery belt.

Tony Zubrowski March 17th, 2004 01:44 PM

Light

I've searched though all these posts and still have a few questions regarding an on camera light for my PD170.

I shoot mostly weddings and a few other events. I feel strongly that I want a dimmable light with barn doors and filters. I'd love to buy the Frezzi Mini or micro but the total cost is prohibitive at the moment.

Have any of you used the NRG VARA-LITE PROF DC LIGHT #NR56001/56001? B&H suggested it as an option. They also suggested the BESCOR SLM-10ATM SLIMLINE 12v BATTERY BELT/REG #BESLM10ATM/SLM10ATM

The NRG is about $100 dollars less expensive than the Frezzi. It's supposed to color balance when dimmed also.

How heavy is this combo? How about the size of the light on the 170.

Have any of you used any of the Bescor lights. They have a couple that are dimmable.

If you have any suggestions on another kit that works well for you I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks
Tony Z
New Genesis Productions

Don Bloom March 17th, 2004 01:58 PM

I use a Bescor light and although it's not dimmable I made a softbox/diffuser for it and it works fine. 50W down to 20 with no appreciable color change. HOWEVER, I also use the Besor battery belt and a juice box with it. The juice box isn't too bad weight wise and the light will run 75-90 minutes with the juice box. The belt on the other hand will give me almost 3 hours of run time BUT it weighs about 15 lbs and by the end of the night my back hurts. They are lead acid batteries and last a long time but the trade off is the weight.
Don

Marco Leavitt March 24th, 2004 02:32 PM

Lighting wallpaper picture

Some time back I posted in hear that GE was developing a type "lighting wallpaper." They now have a picture of the prototype lighting a table of colorful ball on their Web site.

http://www.ge.com/stories/en/20147.h...ory=Innovation

Rob Lohman March 25th, 2004 03:09 AM

That's looking sweat! Together with ultrathin paper / cloth like
TV's / screens it is an interesting time we are heading into!

Barry Cheong March 28th, 2004 07:36 PM

Light Meter?

I'm in the market for a light meter to be used mainly for 16mm production. Am thinking too of using it to check contrast and lighting ratios for my DV productions.

It's a toss up between the Sekonic 508C or 558C meters?

Just anyone have insight they could share?

Thanks

Carlos E. Martinez April 10th, 2004 04:54 PM

Re: Light Meter?

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Cheong : I'm in the market for a light meter to be used mainly for 16mm production. Am thinking too of using it to check contrast and lighting ratios for my DV productions.

It's a toss up between the Sekonic 508C or 558C meters?
-->>>

Are you used to working with incident light meters? Which was the one you learned with?

My first advice would be to pick that one.

If you are starting in incident light techniques pick the LM-398M with the direct disks and go to a much expensive one after you master it.

This advice is valid if you are going to use it for "normal" photography. If you are going to use on very low light scenes, you should certainly pick your best deal on any of the new ones.

Carlos