Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 15th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #106
Regular Crew

UK Light Help!!

In desperate need of advice!

I live in the UK (Great Britain) and need an AC (Plug in) On board Camera light for my Canon XL1s.

I don't want one that runs on batteries and it HAS to run on 240 Volts and have a power output of about 100-150W.

I haven't seem to come across one and am running out of time!

Does anybody know of where I can get one in the UK??!!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #107
Regular Crew

Lighting Dilemma!!

As you may know I have another thread about an on-camera light.

Thank you for responses from which I have decided to ditch the idea of an AC on-board camera light and have opted for a battery powered light instead.

So.....the next dilemma.

I want a light that is capable of around 100w output and a battery pack of a reasonable time.

I also would prefer the battery pack to be mountable on the MA200 of my Canon XL1s.

Can someone please advise me of what is a suitable setup. I am familiar with 4 Pin XLR lights and all that, but I'm not that knowledgable regarding on-camera lighting in general so would appreciate positive feedback!

Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #108
RED Code Chef

I believe the general battery brand that everone's using is from
Anton Bauer. There are connectors for almost anything for that
brand including the XL1. I'm not sure which lights would work
with such a system or for how long.

Most professional shoots probably use some form of generator
out in the field to power all the equipment. Smaller ones
(which can happily feed 100W) can be easily rented at hardware
stores and hardware rental facilities here for example.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #109
Regular Crew

I used to use a "sun gun" dc light powered by a battery belt years ago when I was shooting TV news. There are different brands. Try Frezzi electronics on the web.

Basically, the on camera light gives a harsh flat unflattering light.
It's ok for shooting interviews with firemen & police at night but not much of anything else. I guess its ok for news and doc work.

Good Luck.

Ed Hill
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:05 PM   #110
New Boot

Shooting paintings on tall walls

Using my trusty trv-950, need to shoot several paintings on very tall walls (cathedral ceiling with skylights). There are nooks and crannies, too, where the skylights do not reach that have paintings I need to shoot, as well.

What would folks recommend? I figure either I bring a light kit and try to shoot at night, and focus the lights for a large portion of the wall (e.g. - lighting a few paintings at a time)? Or I shoot during the day and get what I get?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Hope this is clear.

THanks so much.
Maureen Futtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:00 PM   #111
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Maureen,
This is an interesting problem not posted here before (at least in my memory).

Based on your description I'm envisioning frescos at the clerestory and/or vault level of a church or cathedral, perhaps 30 feet or more above the floor with bright light streaming into the clerestory windows during the day?

Yes, you will certainly need some lighting and, if those distances are anywhere near accurate, you'll probably need quite a bit of it. Unless you want to get a good exposure on both the paintings and adjacent windows I'd be inclined to shoot during the day and use as much ambient daylight as possible. Even a little will help augment your own lighting.

But here's the the thought that struck me. Why not shoot high-resolution digital stills with a good digital SLR (ex: Canon EOS 10D, Nikon D1, et.al.) instead of video? If there are no moving subjects up there, there may be some significant advantages in such an approach.

1. You can probably accomplish the photography with two powerful flash guns on separate stands and slaved together. That sure beats shlepping heavy video lighting gear.

2. You will have a good selection of 35mm lenses, perhaps a single good zoom and/or telephotos / wide angles.

3. You can drop the high-res stills into your video sequences and zoom them to introduce motion and visual interest. I envision that you might have a narrative voice-over in the background, perhaps with some background music as well. This technique might actually give you more control over the sequence timing of the footage during post than if you shot it with video.

As long as you're careful with lens selection (i.e. stay away from extreme wide shots that might have barrel distortion) nobody would know that you actually shot that footage with a still camera.

Just a brainstorm.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Lights

Hi,

Keene Electronics (www.keene.co.uk) stock the Unomat LX301, which is 300 watts and can be zoomed from flood to spot. It's about 90 quid and is a great little light.

I don't know of anything less powereful than this available here in the UK.

Roger
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #113
Regular Crew

Shooting with same lighting kit 100V-240V?

Hello
I am planning a production and plan to carry a lighting set (Lowel Omni lihgt x4, Tota light x1) with us. WIll be shooting in Europe, US, and China, due to the Voltage differences, we are considering having different voltage range bulbs, but also considering having a transformer. Does anyone recommend a better solution?
we do no t have the budget to rent lights each place we go.
Thanks for you advice.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Can anyone confirm on the Omni light being able to shoot with diverse voltages? Just with different watt bulbs? Has anyone tried this out yet? It does say in the back about the color temperature difference when using 120V and 240V.
http://www.lowel.com/omni/omni_b.html#info
T
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #115
Major Player

Burned/brown scrims

Usually I just repostion, swap things out for other lighting options, or diffuse another way, but yesterday, for the first time, I popped in the little scrim on my Pro Light to knock down the hair light on a bald spot. When I packed everything up, I noticed the scrim had a brown/burned-like spot on it. Is that normal? I hadn't clipped the frame in completely as it sits so tightly it's hard to get open, so I'm wondering if it not being seated flush had anything to do with it. But is a burned scrim now useless? Won't that affect the color of the light when it's used next?
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #116
Major Player

I presume you mean a metal scrim. Don't worry, they all get that way after 1 or 2 passes in front of hot lights...gives them a bit of character. Sometimes scrims have a coating on the metal mesh, sometimes the screen material just heats up and discolors.
The closer the frame is to the light, the faster they go.
This won't change the color of your light, but over time the scrim material can become brittle. This could take years...I have some 30 year old Mickey Mole 1Ks with the original scrims that are still going strong.
Hope this helps.
ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #117
Major Player

It does indeed, Ken. Character... I like that. Kinda like my own dings and knocks. :-)

No worries then. Thanks!
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #118
New Boot

XL1s and Lowel Pro Light

Hey Everyone,

Just ordered up a Super Ambi Kit from Lowel to add to my collection. I figure this should pretty much do the trick for most applications. Anyways, included in the kit is a Lowel Pro light. Does anybody know where to find a stud so I can mount the Pro Light on my XL1s? also, I'm using Anton Bauer Hytron 50 cells to power the camera using the QRXL1c gold mount. Can I power the Pro Light using the Hytron 50?
Tel. 613-843-0531
Grant Brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:41 AM   #119
New Boot

Lighting for suspense

I'm curious if there are any lighting books geared specifically to lighting for suspense and/or horror.

Or any recommended books on lighting setups that have a chapter devoted to the subject of horror lighting.

-D.
Dirk Vanfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #120
Regular Crew

I would recommend buying John Jackman's Lighting for DV and Television. It's a great book that will teach you a lot about lighting. Once you have the basics down, just watch horror movies to see how they light (it will become more obvious to you after reading the book). That's what I do.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management