DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 28th, 2001, 06:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Various lighting questions & answers from 2004

I have seen the tv commercials and looked up GE `s web site for their new "Reveal " series light bulbs.......they sound great for video work...any one tried them yet? They are low cost and not too hot, so that they could be placed in regular lamp fittings, say in a home shot, without the need for expensive light set ups...their web site is www. gereveal.com
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2001, 09:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Hard to tell...

I can't say much about the bulbs you mention. It looks however that these will alter the light color. I don't think they will be particularly useful.

I do recommend that you use the big cheap light in the sky as best you can.

Here are some tips for shooting in daylight...even indoors.

First off, use mirrors! You can easily get sunlight into interiors this way. Once inside the all too common white walls are often all the bounce you need.

Align your set/camera north-south. If you do this you have a reasonably long shooting day, and you have to worry less about matching shadow positions.

Finally, don't be afraid to shape your light using anything at hand as a flag, reflector or scrim.

Following these tips can be the cheapest way to improve any production...and it doesn't use electricity which can be expensive to bring on location.
Old December 28th, 2001, 11:29 PM   #3
imagineThat

Good all purpose light kit

to all,

I'm looking for a solid, durable light kit that I can use in shooting shorts. I've been looking at a couple kits from lowel that seem to provide a good variety of equipment, but since this not at all my area of expertise I thought I would pose the question out to any experts in the crowd. Below is what I've looked at, interested to know if I'm on the right path, if Lowel is a good company, etc.

Lowel Solo Kit:
http://www04.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___32273___LOTO96___REG___CatID=2247___SID=EB 49A529AF0

or Lowel VIP Sophisti-Kit:
http://www04.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___185195___LOVP96U___REG___CatID=2247___SID= EB49A529AF0

and a Rifa 66:
http://www04.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___132651___LORL750K___REG___CatID=2247___SID =EB49A529AF0

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated,
Thanks and Happy New Year!
ImagineThat
Old December 29th, 2001, 09:32 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I generally use 2 Lowel packages. I recently began using a Caselight 4 portable flourescent as a key light. It's very cool running, has built-in barndoors, brightness controlled by switching on 1 to 4 of the lamps, and packs down to a case just slightly larger than a briefcase (inclusing stand!).

I also use a kit with 2 Lowel Omni's and 1 Tota lamp (I think it's called one of their "Go" kits.). That kit packs into a slightly larger and heavier case. Honestly, though, you could probably skip the Tota for many shoots. I've considered getting a Caselight 2 to use instead of the hot Omni's and Tota but...

BTW, I bought both from B&H.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2002, 11:23 PM   #5
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

3 Point Lighting Theory

Can somebody tell me what the 3 Point Lighting Theory is?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2002, 11:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The short short version:

You have #1 light that is called the key light, it is the main source of light for the scene.

You have #2 light that is called the fill light, it fills in the shadows.

You have #3 light that is called the back light, it helps seperate the subject from the background.

For more details:
http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 05:27 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Anyone know Multiblitz lighting equipment

Hey there...

I've had contact with a local store here that sells video
and photo equipment to ask about lighting equipment
for my XL1s (stuff like this is hard to find here). They only
sell Multiblitz ( http://www.multiblitz.de/en/index.html )
lighting gear. This gear seems to be meant for photo
shoots instead of video shoots. Can I use this stuff
with my XL1s or would this be a bad idea? Anyone
actually know this brand?

Thanks for any help or tips.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors

Last edited by Rob Lohman; April 22nd, 2002 at 08:42 AM.
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 06:00 AM   #8
Warden

Hi,

Your right, Multiblitz has been around for a number of years in the still photography market. Bogen (Manfrotto) doesn't import it in the US. I haven't seen it in the states in a few years. They used to make very hi quality flashes. But I'm not familiar with their hot lights. If they look well made and sturdy ask the shop if they can put you in touch with any photographers that are using them. From the photo they look bigger than Lowel lights, so they may be a little bulkier to transport.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Cool Lux SL 3000/U-3

I am looking for an on-camera light. As I own one of the Cool Lux 2000 kits, I am rather pleased with their performance, over all, when placed on stands.

Has any one out in the crowd used the Cool Lux SL3000, or, the U-3, camera mounted? And, if so, what would you say to there good/bad Points?
Old January 18th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #10
Major Player

I liked the SL3000. It puts out a nice soft light with the hood on and if you remove the hood and turn the light forward it has a fairly wide throw. I think the only thing I didn't like about it was the battery belt. The charge specifications are really unuseful. It takes like 10 hours to charge, you can't let it over charge, you can't undercharge it or it will develop a memory and it only lasts for a few hours when fully charged. For my purpose it just wasn't very flexible, I would need it at the last minute and have to wait 10 hours to charge first or just use what was left.
With todays battery technology there has to be something better to use instead, so other than the battery I really like the light. I have used it mounted on a PD-150's shoe and on a light stand without problems. It is very rugged aluminum and pretty easy to assemble from it's own little shoulder storage package.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Wrangler

Shooting in the woods

Just thought I would ask if anyone here has had practical experience shooting in the woods in the middle of the night.

How to light a large area without it looking like it is being lit?

I have a couple of different ideas, but thought perhaps some of you out there might of actually succeeded in this.

Thanks- Nori
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM   #12

Nori, this article might be of some value to you. It's from DV magazine and cinematographer John Jackman:

http://www.dv.com/features/features_...02/jackman1002

Hope it helps.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Software based Waveform & Vectorscope Monitors

Does anyone know of a way to use a software-based waveform and/or vectorscope monitor on set in real time to set up a shot? Maybe by somehow hooking a laptop through the 1394 on the camera? Any ideas at all would be great. Thanks.

-Shawn
Old April 9th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

That is exactly what is possible. If you have an NLE or other piece
of equipment that features a vectorscope etc. it should be able
to realtime watch the firewire port. Just hook up your camera
and drag the laptop with you on set. I'm thinking myself on
using this together with recording directly on my laptop instead
of tape....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Mirror Shots

Hi All,

I just wanted to share something I learned a week ago and saw tonight on the rushes for a short movie I shot, a shot I did into a mirror of a girl...the mirror was an old, faded mirror (like they get when they deterioriate) and I shot her image in the mirror, focusing on her, not the mirror. She was about two feet from the mirror looking into it (supposedly, but she was looking at a spot of tape out of view on the left side) and the shot had a very nice, soft focus and filmy look...try this out next time you see an old discarded mirror laying around on the sidewalk somewhere!
Robert Aldrich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management