DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Diffussion for a flashlight? Other "kit" help needed (long post). (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/24522-diffussion-flashlight-other-kit-help-needed-long-post.html)

Marcia Janine Galles April 13th, 2004 11:46 AM

Diffussion for a flashlight? Other "kit" help needed (long post).

Here's the deal. I'm going ahead with my doc w/o the hoped for funding (just signed contracts!) which means I'm totally self-finacing this thing now. But after paying a helper/assistant I have a pitiful amount of money left to spend on rounding out my equipment inventory (which includes lighting and audio needs). I'm shooting with my DVX (wish I had the 100a) and the only accesory will be a pola, as needed.

What I have at present in terms of lighting:

1 Tota (plus barn door, but it's usually used with the Photoflex)
1 Med. Photoflex
1 Pro-Light (barn doors, scrims, etc.)
1 Omni (same)
1 five-in-one Photoflex reflector
1 Road Rags set (LOVE these)
Misc. small flags, black wrap, etc.

Scenarios in broad strokes:

* Indoor interviews (homes, child's bedroom, hospital office, hospital corridor)
* Outdoor interviews and trailing after people, including pool shots, hikes, kids in shade doing stuff, etc.
* campfires
* kids in bed in middle of the (pitch black) night
* Q & A under a roofed/sheltered outdoor "room"
* Indoor "mess hall"

Any suggestions or ideas for what to add to what I have would be most apreciated, including how best to make the Pro-Light and/or Omni portable (am thinking hand-held) in terms of trailing after people. Favorite battery pack mounts (don't like the belts... prefer over the shoulder or slung on) you'd suggest? Someone suggested a car battery for the campfire, but what do you use to attach to it?

I had planned on buying a Frezzi package which, with the battery and diffuser, was going to run around $800. That's out. Am thinking of just using a camping lantern or a figuring out some way to rig diffusion around a flashlight (no clue how) for middle of the (pitch black) night shots which will only include one child asleep and an adult on the edge/fringe of the light. Any suggestions/alternative ideas?

I'd wanted to use Molepars for the mess hall and sheltered outdoor "room," or failing that, some Totas, but now I think it's going to be Home Depot work lights or those "clip on" work lights, but around here I can't find the ones with the aluminum half-bowl on it. Can only find just the clamp and bulb. Anybody know where I can get my hands on some WITH the dish/bowl thing?

(I should also add that the amount of wattage the place can handle without shorting their grid out it pitiful at best. The rented generator on my previous list is gone now, too.)

While funding was still possible I was also planning on getting another reflector and a big Scrim Jim (have a couple c-stands) for outdoor stuff, but may have to punt on those as well and make do with one reflector and shade where I can find it. Though the second reflector and Scrim Jim may be in "really should get anyway" category.

I still plan on getting another Pro Light, to light the walls behind my indoor interviewees, and probably a cookie for interest. Really hate how dull looking most indoor doc interviews tend to be. Would like to avoid that.

In terms of the campfire, I suspect I may have to forgo 24p and boost the gain. Have to run some tests to see how bad the footage will look cut together, but on my budget, don't think I can adequately light kids sitting around in the flickering light and stay at 24p. Any "speaker" right next to the fire I should be able to get, but not the audience. (sigh)

This is all kinda pitiful, ain't it? Still, I'm going to pour my heart into this thing, and we'll see what we get!

Any and all suggestions for what to add or alternatives not thought of at this point in time would be most appreciated.
Marcia

Patrick MCMurray April 13th, 2004 02:26 PM

a good coleman propane lantern gives out alot of light. build a reflector < theyre ment for 360 degs of light> and maybe barn doors? i dont know about color temp... as i recall its not as low as you might think... if youre worried about that. but they make a bit of noise. are you electrically inclined? try the DIY LED array mentioned not to long ago. And of course as many pas as you can find to hold bounce cards.
i offered a few months back, a couple weekends, depending on how long a drive from Sacto.

Greg Boston April 15th, 2004 11:04 PM

Marcia,

Wal-Mart (at least the one in my town) carries the clamp on lights with the aluminum half bowl reflector. The reflector even has a removable protective grid. Give that a try. They are back where the light bulbs and flood lights are sold.

Good Luck,

Boyd Ostroff April 16th, 2004 04:02 PM

Re: Diffussion for a flashlight? Other "kit" help needed (long post).

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcia Janine Galles : Am thinking of just using a camping lantern or a figuring out some way to rig diffusion around a flashlight (no clue how) for middle of the (pitch black) night shots -->>>

That's pretty easy, just pick your favorite diffusion gel, pull the lens out of your flashlight, cut to fit underneath, and reassemble. We use 119 a lot in our stage lights to lightly soften a beam, or 114 for a little stronger effect.

I used a cheap 6v Ever-Ready flashlight with some 119 as a fill light on the face for this campfire scene

Marcia Janine Galles April 16th, 2004 04:27 PM

Will try Wal Mart, Greg. I finally found a couple at a Home Depot a ways away from us, but would like a few more.

Boyd, awesome advice. Exactly the kind of things I was hoping to hear how to do. I have a Lee filter pack. Not sure what the various Lee CTO's are in the Rosco # sys. Will find out and compare to your 119 and 114. Basically all I think I have on hand (in that color range) is a 1/4, 1/2, and full CTO. Will have to pick up some other colors to play with as well.

Thanks guys!

Boyd Ostroff April 16th, 2004 05:35 PM

Marcia, diffusion gels are generally clear and do not have any color to them. They have textured surfaces that cause the light to spread in different patterns depending on the gel. The R114 and R119 appear "blurry" if you look through them. They will make the light beam a bit softer and wider but will not change the color. Something like R100 or R101 are denser and look more like ground glass.

But maybe I'm not understanding what you want to accomplish. Diffusion gels are used for two primary reasons. First, they can make a narrow beam spread to cover a wider area, such as turning a fresnel into a floodlight type of instrument. You would use one of the heavier "frost" gels for this. Secondly, they can turn a hard edged beam, like one that you might get from an Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight (eg: Source 4) into a soft edged beam. This is what you might use R119 for. If there was a geometric pattern to the light beam this gel would not obliterate it the way a heavier frost would, but would just make it a little blurry like it was out of focus.

Hope this helps.

Marcia Janine Galles April 16th, 2004 07:03 PM

It does, indeed, clarify things Boyd. Thank you. In part I just read your post and responded in a rush with my mind racing ahead of me. I was thinking about one thing and typing another. I like the idea of using diffusion as you say, and will try that out, but as I was typing my mind jumped ahead to other gels, and how I could use a correction gel over a light to blend with a campfire scene... giving the white light a orange glow so the added light wouldn't be noticeable. I apologize for the confusion. So many creative choices and so little time. Think I'd better give up sleeping so I can get more done in the time I have left. ;-)

I have a series of test for this weekend, among them the frosted shower curtain for duffusion idea from Chris' budget lighting article/section. I'm skeptical, but will see how it works. I'm up for saving money, even things look a little goofy. More stories to tell after the fact!