$1000 shopping spree - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM   #16
Trustee

I think that a typo on B&H , the photoflex site states that the cinedome is ok to 2000 watts. I would assume that would be for the large size.

http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html

I use a medium and have a Tota with 750 watts in it.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm not sure if buying the ring for the tota is the cheapest way out for the medium Photoflex setup. When I priced it out it seemed to be a wash to go with the tota setup.

Buying the location kit made sense for me because I got the starlite head, the medium softbox, all the accessories, 2 x 1K lamps, stand and a soft case for $589.

If you build a photoflex for your tota it adds up to about the same price but you need to use your light. With the location kit you get the extra lamps and starlite head so you can use your tota for other uses. Of course, if you don't want the accessories or the stands then it may make sense.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM   #18
Trustee

Photoflex medium with louver kit at B&H is $180, Tota $110, speedring $75 and Bogen 3086 light stand (11 lb rating) $52.

That totals $417

Lamps are $14 for a 500 watt and $18 for a 750watt
Star Lire lamps are $42 for a 500 watt and $65 for a 1000 watter.

The Tota will take an HIR650 bulb that gives 1000 watts of light in a 650 watt bulb for $24. The Tota can be relamped easily but the Star Lite lamp is a special order.

On the plus side for the Star Lite is the double envelope safety lamp. The loss is negligable. Other open face lights that use a safety screen lose 30% of the light.

On the negative the Star Lite isn't as easy to tear down quickly. You have to wait until the lamp cools enough to be handled.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM   #19
Major Player

Yes you can outfit it that way.

I was pricing the medium silverdome location kit with the accessories which include the grid ($100), louvres, rectangle, and circle masks($80). In addition it comes with the case (app $100).

So if you price it out individually it's a good deal. But if you want to keep the price lower with fewer accessories than the tota may be the best option.

I wonder if the tota affects the quality of the light output. The Starlite lamp locates itself into the center of the softbox so that it illuminates the box pretty evenly.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #20
Trustee

The tota is a broad light with side reflectors that rotate beyond 180 degrees. That's what i use. I've noted the trade offs. One that I didn't mention is that unless you buy the $35 lamp cover you really have an unprotected lamp on the starlight. The tota folds flat.

B&H list two medium soft boxes and they're both $180 (click the email me a better price box). One of the units include the louver kit for the same money.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Yeah regardless of the head I have been very happy with the light quality. Have you tried the grid? I have the louvers but haven't used them yet.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management