A Viable Alternative to Halogen Lamps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A Viable Alternative to Halogen Lamps

Hey ppls, some of you may have reasearched this already, but i think that if someone can adapt these to work on a standard camera battery these will become great lights.

you could use a Ring Array of these LEDs

http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=4

they come in a ring of 12 LED's and would be great if it could be mounted around the lens, it has an internal diameter of 87.4mm so i'm assuming that lense aren't usually that big around the outside, so it would work quite well seeing as it is very bright, and i mean blindingly bright, and could run off a normal battery lasting alot longer than halogen globes

it would be perfect mounted slightly behind the Multi-function ring on the GS400

if it fit that is

if you made a ring around the lens it would make that sexy ring in everyones eyes like you sometimes see in music video's and commercials

there is also square array of 12 or 18 LED's this would be perfect for a flood light for filming

http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=5

i'm sure many of you could make a Getto modification to hook up either of these LED array's to use for lighting, it would be perfect for RUN & GUN applications being very light.
Kamal Tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: A Viable Alternative to Halogen Lamps

<<<-- Originally posted by Kamal Tailor : Hey ppls, some of you may have reasearched this already, but i think that if someone can adapt these to work on a standard camera battery these will become great lights.-->>>

Have you seen the price of the round ring: LXHL-NW96? It's $198.00. A bit expensive I'd say, for something you can't yet know how much light will output.

White LEDs are potentially great for portable lights, but they seem to be a good deal if you assemble them yourself. Then you can determine how much light you will get, for a very reasonable price.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

Ring lights are not very flattering of most objects including people. They are almost always a tool just for scientific or technical photography.

Still photographers, who could easily use a strobe light that fits around the lens do not. They want a light up above the lens by about 12 to 18 inches if they can. This is because they want some modeling of the subject's features.

There are some flat-panel white LED setups available now. A bit expensive but they are nice and are light enough to be held up above a camcorder.
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i built an array after reading about the ones on the dvx forum.
cost me about $30. bright as hell... 50 white 12000 mcd leds.
these will cost 2-3 bucks EACH if you go through any normal
supplier. but theres a guy on eBay <probably more than one>
who sells direct from the factory in china. 50 of 'em for $13...
plus $15 for shipping... a couple bucks for a project board
alot of time soldering. a battery and charger will cost a bit more
i had an 18 volt rechargable drill battery. its chunky, but ill bet
it last for hours. i havent done a test to see how long yet, but
i dont even have a use for it. i just like projects like this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management