DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Tourist

$1200 light kit advice please.

Hi guys.

I've been lurking for a while, but I feel I need your advice.

I am a complete novice to DV and video in general. I have read as much as possible available on the web, including this forum and others. So, my apologies if I've missed some information that would answer this question.

I'm trying to get a flexible DV kit together, I've got a TRV-950 and some decent microphones to cover the basics. The trouble is that I dont know the first thing about lighting. I had been looking at the Lowel DV Creator 44 kit, but judging from several posts in the archive there seems to be some controversy as to whether the kit is the best bang for my buck.

Most of the light work would be for interviews, and chromakey work to be used with computer animation.

Again, my apologies if this has been covered at length previously.

Thanks in advance,

J
Justin Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Trustee

There are so many things to consider here. You may want to check out
a recent DV magazine article about a huge light kit that fits into a
large road case for ideas, BUT . . .

I would go with at least one Lowel Rifa softbox. Very easy to transport and
set up FAST. They have a good look and take different lamp wattages.
For blue screen work you
want soft lights as they help make shadows go away, but good blue
screen lighting is anything _but_ easy and inexpensive. Many people
use florescents (good light output without a lot of heat).
In small rooms, a couple of 500 watt lamps is the same as a 1000W space
heater on full . . . stuff to consider with your personal needs.

Other choices include all the usual fresnels made by Arri, Strand, Pepper, Desisti,
Altman, etc. I have a couple of ETC Source 4 parnels. The HPL
lamp puts out as much as a 1000W but only draws 575W.

I would try and get good stuff because you'll be using it for a long time,
unless you need to get out, in which case good stuff holds its value and
is always desirable.
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #3
Major Player

If the majority of your shooting is interviews, I would go to film-and-video.com and click on instruction. Plenty of articles on lighting interviews, making inexpensive lights and creating your own kit.

My advice...buy some cheap flashlights and learn how light works - angle, height, main, separation, and create some simple diffusion with wax paper and a reflector with aluminum foil on cardboard.

You don't even need to turn on your camera. Just focus on creating a pleasing portrait. This is simplistic to say the least. But, better than investing a hard earned money or worse yet buying it on credit without a job to repay it with.

Consider renting lights and use the $1200 for lighting workshops.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

$1500 to spend... advice?

I'm going to be shooting outdoors at night and need to get some light on the background (mainly trees) as well as the actors. Assuming I've got almost nothing else in the way of lights, what would you guys recommend to fit in my budget?
Eric Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Major Player

This has got to be the most common question on this or any "filmmaking" site.

Start here: http://www.rostronics.com/categories.asp

These lighting fixtures and kits are the best bang for the buck anywhere. You wont need to spend anything like $1,500 to get yourself a good kit.

You'll need to pick the size you want depending on a number of factors, like how far away is the camera (how much area to cover), etc., etc.

Don't forget lots of extension chords (stingers).
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Great site, thanks! This is just what I needed.
Eric Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Major Player

$1200+ Budget for Lighting KIt...Gimme Advice Please

Chris you can erase this thread 'cause it's a double. Sorry, and thank you.

Last edited by Jaadgy Akanni; March 29th, 2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: to make clearer
Jaadgy Akanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Major Player

$1200+ Budget for Lighting KIt for HD200...Gimme Advice Please

Ok, got a JVC HD200U, Tripod, Brevis on the way, Nikon mount lenses....and a 12 feet wide Greescreen.

1)So tell me, HOW DO I GO ABOUT LIGHTING THE GREEENSCREEN AND LIGHTING THE TALENT?

2) WHAT LIGHTING KIT DO YOU RECOMMEND ON A $1200+ BUDGET? take into consideration that I own no lighting gear at all, so I would need a kit I could use other than with greenscreen as well.

ANYONE chime in and gimme ideas. I'd be happy to hear from Tim Dashwood and them too. Thank you in advance.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Trustee

Here is something you can look at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

It's just in your price.

You can also collect used stuff, but that's harder if you don't know what you are looking for and the problems you can run into.

This kit is very good for interviews, your green screen work (you may want to get a second tota light), etc. You've got a softbox that sets up in one minute, back light, background light, a light that will raise beneral illumination, etc.

All the things you need to do nice simple lighting while learning what you are doing. Also, all these lights are useful in other situations in combination with different kinds of kits into the future.

You also want to look at reflectors (such as the foldable ones) or just some foam core pieces, both black and white. Also get some spring clamps from Home depot.

There is a lot of info on the net about putting together a light kit and how to use all the accessories. There are also some excellent videos on interview lighting and other types of lighting. Digital Juice does videos that are free when they come out and are put on a DVD to buy later -- and in some of them they cover lighting.

Anyway, here's a starting point for discussion.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the info Jack. Funny you should suggest those Light Kits from BHphoto 'cause I've been contemplating those, more specifically the one they have for $1209.95, but I wanna know what you guys here think would be best approach since I'm gonna be shooting mostly music videos, and only the occasional interview( if at all) ...but mainly music videos. Also, I'd love Fluorescent lights 'cause I heard somebody say that they're great for lighting greenscreen and 'cause they don't produce so much heat. However, fluorescent might be out of the question on this budget. What do you guys think?
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Trustee

Here is a nice article by our friend Walter Graff. (Click here)

have fun..
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Chris you can erase this thread 'cause it's a double. Sorry, and thank you.

Last edited by Jaadgy Akanni; March 29th, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Jaadgy Akanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Stephen. That was brief and concise. I printed it out too.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Major Player

I wanna add something to my original thread

First, I apologize for having double-posted this thread earlier today, but allow me if you will to reiterate some stuff while I add new thoughts that have come up after consulting with my partners in crime:

WE got a $1200+ budget to spend on lights. I'm gonna be shooting mainly music videos, mainly indoors, perhaps some green screen from time to time....so, what would be the most necessary things to get as far as lights? and What should I avoid, in other words, what would be a waste of my money? I ask this because I'm guessing that pre-packaged kits sometimes contain stuff I don't really need, but that I end up paying for anyway 'cause they're included. I mean, I only wanna get indispensable things and buy them separately if it would save me some money. What do you guys say are 2, 3 or 4 items for lighting that should definitely have?
I wanna be very careful and make sure that somewhere down the road I don't end up with stuff that was only good for my first 2 projects. I wanna start with something I can build on, something that makes a good lighting foundation(if you get my drift). Someone suggested a Lowel videocreator kit but I gotta be sure before I spend these $1200. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaadgy Akanni View Post
First, I apologize for having double-posted this thread earlier today
Please don't do that again, cross-posting is against DVinfo policy. Both threads have been merged together in our lighting forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management