DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Connecting gels and using barn doors on the Omni (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/294406-connecting-gels-using-barn-doors-omni.html)

Natan Pakman August 18th, 2009 04:57 PM

Connecting gels and using barn doors on the Omni

I have a lowel Omni, with barn doors, and I am having problems connecting color gels to them while simultaneously having good use of the barn doors. Specifically, if I connect the gels to the barn doors using those "gel-jawz," I obviously can't move the barn doors without moving the gel. What would be the simplest way to connect the gels independently of the barn doors?

Oren Arieli August 18th, 2009 05:59 PM

Are you using one of these: Lowel | Tota-Frame for 10x12" Gels | T1-20 | B&H Photo Video

I can still use the barn doors with this gel frame attached.

Natan Pakman August 19th, 2009 12:42 PM

Yes, with the gel-frame I can use the barn doors, but it's a pretty clumsy set-up (if I want to move the barn doors in very tight, I have to move the gel-frame out of the way b/c it's so close to the light itself).

Additionally, the gel-frame connects to the Omni at the same spot you would connect a tota-brella. So let's say I want to use a gel and an umbrella. The only way I've been able to do this so far is to remove the top barn door and connect the gel to the other doors with clips, but the gel ends up very close to the light and therefore gets very hot (a few of my gels have burned quickly in this way).

Any ideas?

Mark Hendren August 19th, 2009 01:56 PM

Clothespins

Use clothespins to attach the gel directly to the barn doors. Works great every time. Easily adjusted and low cost.

Scott Lovejoy August 23rd, 2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hendren (Post 1243430)
Use clothespins to attach the gel directly to the barn doors. Works great every time. Easily adjusted and low cost.

Fact.

Really I think it's a matter of setting your barndoors and then throwing on your gel with C-47s.

Les Wilson August 23rd, 2009 09:43 PM

It's bizzare. Everything else is so nicely engineered by Lowel. Those gell frames are exactly as you describe .. they interfere with the barndoors. The stem that holds them away from the fixture is not long enought. Period.

Natan Pakman August 24th, 2009 07:54 AM

Les,

Exactly!

In any case, based on the comments I've seen here, and my own ideas, I assume the simplest solution is to use the gel frame to attach gels when leaving the barn doors completely open, and to use the c-47s or clothespins when angling the barn doors.

In terms of the umbrella and a gel, it seems like it's best to avoid its use with the Omni, b/c of the previously mentioned debacles.

Bill Pryor August 24th, 2009 10:15 AM

Use a full sheet of gel, clamp it on to the outer edges of the barn doors with C-47s and laet hit bulge out loosely, and you can move the barn doors however you want.

Jeff Kolada August 28th, 2009 04:54 PM

I never use the gel frames for lowel lights. We do what Mark said and C-47 the gels straight to the barn doors. Especially with omnis, you won't have any trouble with melting gels or anything like that, and you can adjust the barn doors as desired.