Will Britek lights work in 220v Land? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Will Britek lights work in 220v Land?

I've emailed Britek and Rostronics but no reply. Wanting to know if anyone from 220v 50Hz land has the Britek video lights (Softbox etc) and how they work? I'm hoping like Arri's they'll work fine and just need another bulb.

Aaron
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

They should work. They have a listing on the side of all the lamps you can use in them. They have several 220v lamps listed.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Ryan. I must have missed that. Where did you see that listing?

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

On the lights I received, the list is printed on the yolk right below the tilt handle.

As far as 220v, the 600/650w will take:

JCD 3200k 650w 220v 3.0 amps

The 1k will take:

JPD 3200k 1000w 220v 4.55 amps

I guess that's not "several" as I said earlier, but the lights I got appear to accept 220v lamps.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Ahh, on the side of the light, not the website - no wonder I missed it I don't have any ;)

I'd then assume the lights themselves will work with that system? Does it say anywhere about the input voltages of the light itself?

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

On the back of the light, it says:

Input: 120v or 240v 50/60Hz

Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Excellent. Thanks a lot Ryan, much appreciated. I think I'll look at ordering some of these babies.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

No problem, Aaron. They're great lights. Enjoy!

Old August 19th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #9
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Excellent. Thanks a lot Ryan, much appreciated. I think I'll look at ordering some of these babies.

Cheers
Aaron -->>>

Hi again Aaron! Did you end up getting any Briteks??

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew Rowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Trustee

Hey Andrew. Not yet mate. Rostronics told me that while the light work, they don't hvae the 220-240v bulbs so I need to hunt some of those down first just to make sure - haven't had time yet. I'm also still looking into a Tota, and have even looked at the caselites and kinoflo diva's but those are expensive babies.

Aaron
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #11
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Hey Andrew. Not yet mate. Rostronics told me that while the light work, they don't hvae the 220-240v bulbs so I need to hunt some of those down first just to make sure - haven't had time yet. I'm also still looking into a Tota, and have even looked at the caselites and kinoflo diva's but those are expensive babies.

Aaron -->>>

Hi Aaron,

FYI Using info from Ryan Gohlinghorst post above I priced what I think are compatible 220v bulbs at US$30/ea. (They even might be the same as Lowel Omni's take??)

It sounds like the Briteks are a good deal which I am considering closely - being an amateur/wannabe videographer!

Andrew
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just picked up one of their new 200w lights. Imagine a Lowel Pro that's better built, comes with barn doors and is half the price. It's great.

Old August 20th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #13
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Ryan Gohlinghorst : I just picked up one of their new 200w lights. Imagine a Lowel Pro that's better built, comes with barn doors and is half the price. It's great. -->>>

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the info, the Briteks are sounding more and more like a better option!

Have you, or anyone for that matter purchased in addtion to the actual light any Britek accessories such as light stands, umbrellas and softboxes – any comments on those, re quality, suitability etc??

Also, can anyone explain what is the major differences – apart from supplied wattage – between the Britek 200w (G-2000) and the Britek 250w ? It would appear to me that the only difference is that the 250w (actually 300w max) version has an optional softbox whereas the 200w edition does not - but the price difference of ~$24 suggests more??? Is there anything else or am I just being stupid by missing something obvious :-( ???

Regards,
Andrew
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I don't have any of their 250w lights since they ran out of those before I was able to order any, so I can't really tell you the difference between the two.

As far as accessories...

The softbox I have for the 1k is really nice.

The barndoors are completely awesome (though the barndoors that come with the G-2000 are not as solid as the ones that came with the 600w).

The stands will be fine if you don't throw them around. They have plastic parts that may break if abused, though they seem solid enough to me for normal use.

Old August 21st, 2004, 06:00 AM   #15
Trustee

Andrew, what would be the bulbs you found and where from?

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management