DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Par Cans for Video ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/31150-par-cans-video.html)

Kent Dammand August 29th, 2004 11:07 AM

Par Cans for Video ??

Would this conflict with my regualr video lights?

Sellers Text:

"Using Par Cans for Video and low Budget Film Productions can easily give you some amazing lighting effects, making your finished production look and feel like it cost a lot more...

Whether you're shooting TV Commercials, TV Pilots, Weddings, Industrials, Educational, Low Budget film projects, Student Videos or just want your Home Videos to look Great - You'll have it, by simply throwing in a few Par Cans with a 90 to 150 watt "Standard-Medium Base" bulb! Then, with the use of a couple "Colored Light Gels", you'll be set!

There's no reason to spend Thousands of dollars to get a bunch of lights that do nothing but put out Thousands of Watts. It's NOT how much light you have - It's how you place your lighting!"

Jacques Mersereau August 29th, 2004 12:52 PM

Re: Par Cans for Video ??

<<<Sellers Text:

"Using Par Cans for Video and low Budget Film Productions can easily give you some amazing lighting effects, making your finished production look and feel like it cost a lot more... >>>>

Yes, you can do some things with PAR cans, but the "amazing lighting effects"
line is a bit overstated imo. Other instruments can do more than par cans.

<<<Whether you're shooting TV Commercials, TV Pilots, Weddings, Industrials, Educational, Low Budget film projects, Student Videos or just want your Home Videos to look Great - You'll have it, by simply throwing in a few Par Cans with a 90 to 150 watt "Standard-Medium Base" bulb! Then, with the use of a couple "Colored Light Gels", you'll be set!>>>

You won't find many TV commericals shot using par cans. There is not enough
control for many situations without bringing in lots of extra gak like flags
and foil wrap (which you may still need even with shutters, barn doors and
focusing abilitiy provided by leckos and fresnels).
I am not sure about how this is to be taken as it seems very
out of context. A couple of colored light gels and you'll be set?
That gets a "HUH?" out of me.

<<<<There's no reason to spend Thousands of dollars to get a bunch of lights that do nothing but put out Thousands of Watts. It's NOT how much light you have - It's how you place your lighting!" -->>>

Sorry to say but this is very ignorent. Try using a 150W tungsten lamp outside
and see how well it works to light a street once you daylite color correct it with
L-201. It wouldn't keep up with the sun as a back light even if you positioned it 4 feet away from an actor's face (much less the rest of the scene).
That's why they make HUGE 12K HMIs (=48K of tungsten). Lighting placement
is very important. That I agree with 100%.

The thing about PARs is they are cheap, an industry standard and available everywhere. I own several dozen of them myself.

Ken, what is it you are looking to do?

Kent Dammand August 29th, 2004 04:32 PM

Actually I was just looking to add some color to an indoor studio "set" or "scene". I guess my first pick would be some Lowell Pros with Gels but I was trying to save some money.

Jacques Mersereau August 29th, 2004 08:41 PM

Par cans should work well for that. You can make inexpensive
bases out of old mic stands or squares of plywood. Do a bit of up lighting
with colored gels and it will look pretty cool.