Reveal Lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Reveal Lights

GE ,and others, put out light blubs called "Reveal",and other names, which are said to give pure true light, and the yellow rays are filtered out. Does anyone suggest to use these light blubs to light a shoot?
I am using a Canon GL2.
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Don't spend over $2000 on a camera and then skimp on the light. Good lighting is what makes the chips in your camera work! Lighting can be some of the cheapest production items you can rent. I'm sure Toronto has some great rental houses.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Wrangler

I called GE awhile back asking about these lights. Wondered if they were closer to daylight in color temp. Well, they aren't. They are around 2600K. I believe it says that on the side of the box. I was hoping they could be used as accents to supplement daylight but I guess not.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

I got some and tested 'em with a color temp meter as well as testing white balance against the daylight presets. I don't remember the details, because once I finished testing I discarded the bulbs, since they were of no use for my intended purpose (which was using as an incandescent replacement for daylight-colored shots).

Even though they claim that they deliver daylight color, they don't -- they're basically not any different from any other tungsten source.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5
Major Player

There are a lot of films shot today where color temperatures are freely mixed on purpose. A lot of this is a result of Brian Reynolds work on NYPD in the past. He loves to mix his colors and does a great job of it. His background is from lighting Barbie commercials. Says it was a great training ground.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management