Underwater Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 31st, 2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Underwater Lighting

A short I'm working on involves flashbacks to an accident where a car ended up in the water, the driver drowned, and the passenger survived.

How, if I had the car easily available and underwater cameras, probably an XL-1s, should I light the area around the car to give it a genuine "underwater" feel?

I can't just contact the police and have them let me toss a car into a local canal, because the water's extremely murky and a pain to see in. I guess the better question included with how to light, is WHERE to put the car TO light it?
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Look close to home for an answer.

Does your scenario take place during the day? If so, there is minimal lighting, if any at all that you will need to worry about in order to carry this out. And by the way, being underwater will give you that "genuine" underwater feel you are looking for!

Night/underwater is a totally different animal as far as lighting. You can go with different U/W rigs, including HMIs, etc.

This is a very complex shoot. The one that we did required that our "victim" remain underwater for approximately one hour at a time. We had three safety divers and myself underwater with her for the duration of the shoot. We had redundant safety features in place. These included a cylinder tied down in the back seat with an extra long octopus so that she could breathe whenever she needed to, as well as a Spare Air that she kept under her leg as a back-up. She also had access to my air as well as the safety diver's if necessary.

We had a mask that she could don between takes and and an underwater slate so that I could communicate directions to her.

Consult the Elder Gast regarding where you can dump a car, he was instrumental in the success of our shoot...it isn't as easy as you think. The vehicle has to be "scrubbed" to remove fuel, oils and hydraulic fluids before being submerged.
This is not only an environmental hazard but can pretty much screw you up if you are floating around with gasoline on the surface. You will also need surface support such as a heavy duty wrecker that can place and remove the vehicle from the waterway.

In South Florida there are many "clear water" canals where you can do this, and many canals where "weekend warrior" divers should not venture into. Again, check with "The Man", and I think you know who I mean, and he will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Give me a call at the office or on my cell.

Regards, RB.
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I did give you a call Rick, weeks ago, AND I sent you an e-mail yesterday ;)

And I'm in the process of talking to "The Man" and he's working out the car situation. And I've already iterated safety procedures very similar to the ones you outlined.

Could I perhaps see final footage from that shoot? Just to see how the lighting conditions will turn out? Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Call me tomorrow on my cell. I will be in the office all day. You should also look at the raw, underwater footage. It will give you a better idea as to what to expect.

I was in D.C. two weeks ago, I'll check my office email now.

RB
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I work on Mondays, Wendsdays and Fridays, can't call then unless you want me calling after 10 PM ;) Are you going to be in on a Tuesday or Thursday?
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes I will.

RB

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management