DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 11th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting for indoor studio

I'm looking for a suggestion on lighting an indoor studio for golf. I have a canon xl1s and will be filming golf swings indoors. I would like to have a system that is mounted to the ceiling to keep floor space open.

I will be filming from face on and from behind. I also will be using a higher shutter speed to capture the golf club in motion. There will be a few windows as well in the studio.
I know I need the proper lights. Just don't know what they are? or how many I need? or where they should be placed?

I would like some input if possible. I live in New York City and spend lots of time at B&H. I would like to have an idea what to look for the next time I'm there.(like monday).

If I left out any important parts or details please let me know and I will update.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Matthew
Matthew Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Lowell Totas and Omni lights are lightweight enough to mount on scissor clips that clip onto the crossbeams of a standard office drop-ceiling. I've used those for telconferences often and they are as contollable as larger units, but easy to hide.

The windows can be a problem if they are in the shot. You'll have a hard time competing with sunlight using only tungsten lights. Consider gelling the windows way down with ND if they are in the shot, or at least gelling them orange if the aren't, and you go with tungsten equipment.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply. Could you suggest a watt amount 100, 200 ect..?
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #4
Major Player

It really depends on the sensitivity if your camera, and what shutter speed you need to properly isolate the golf swing. If you are shooting at 1/250th, that's going to require a lot less light that shooting at 1/1000th. Also keep in mind that if you shoot with the iris wide open, you'll end up with a shallower depth of field than if you can close the iris a bit.

I've found that once you get into shutter speeds faster that 1/500th, it's almost impossible to maintain good exposure in anything other than full-on sunlight. Most video cameras will open the iris fully and even punch up the electronic gain just to get an image. You've got your work cut out for you. You may have to light the subject to a degree that seems way too much for the naked eye, and may get awfully hot. You may end up with several Totas maxxed out at 750 watts, I believe, and just switch them on for a few seconds as your subject takes the swing.

Unfortunately, you probably want to have the fastest shutter speed you can get away with so as to reduce motion blur on each frame. That means more light.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again for the reply. I'm using a Canon xl1s camera. I have shot some footage inside already. The shutter speed was at 1/2000. The picture was pretty clear and could see the club quite well. 1/1000 is pretty standard for golf swings.

I was in B&H today (again) and was speaking to the guy about lighting as well. I was planning on having the lights mounted to the ceiling and only using them when I need to film the swings. The guy suggest having a pair of 500 watt lights, one facing the person and one behind the person, maybe even with some umbrellas?

I think when my studio sets up I will have a person come and
check it out and give me my best options.

Thanks again for the response.
matt
Old December 21st, 2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Trustee

I would buy a couple of Lowell Rifa 88s softboxes with 1K lamps and a 1K fresnel.
You can buy 500W and 750s that also work in the Rifas.

Tiny lights and fast shutter speeds = problem imo and I like to shoot at
-3 gain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management