Scrims or Dimmers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 10th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Scrims or Dimmers

I have just upgraded my light output from little Dedolights (came with dimmers) to Three x Arri 650 Fresnels. They're way brighter than the Dedos and don't have dimmers.

Buying Scrims and using them when they're hot must be a pain and not very controllable. Would cutting the Power cord and wiring in a Heavy duty Dimmer in the line be they way to go? Why don't they come with dimmers.

I supose when using 3 x 650w lights all at different dimmer settings there will be a white balance issue too?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Color temp change.

Dimmers will generaly change the color temperature of the light while scrims will only cut down the light intensity without changing the temp.

RB
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3
New Boot

kino flos?

Just curious, when dimming kino flos do you get a change in temp or just intensity. I've never used kino flos before and I'm just now thinking about it.
Mark Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Seems quite a few people looked at this post but not much comments. So I have just bought a Four channel dimmer/controller. They looked like the ideal fix, they are generally used for small budget live band shows I'm told, and I got them at a Pro Music shop.

I have just tried them out and they look great and controll the light infinatley variable.

But! They are very noisy when you have any of the four channels dimmed. When all lights are on full the dimmer doesn't make a sound. Is it the voltage being dumped making the buzz. I'm worried that this sound will be picked up by the Mic.

I guess I'll have to put it in a different room than where the video is being shot. Or is it faulty?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Andrew,
Not faulty. At least not in my experiences with dimmers/controllers. Yes, you'll definitely have problems picking up those frequencies on your mic. They'll be a serious pain, in fact. Good luck with the results and good luck to us getting more timely responses, eh? I think I just heard this reply echoing within this thread. Seems so empty...

Just trying to stir things up a bit.
Mark Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dimmers aren't a good idea, because they'll change color temp (as mentioned) and this can lead to all kinds of problems involving continuity, or at very least it'll lead to a LOT more time spent adjusting colors in post. They also can fluctuate mid-shot or over time, and there's the hum to deal with.

Dimmers aren't often used in the professional film realm, for good reasons.

Scrims and silks/diffusion are the way to go. All cut down light intensity, but scrims preserve the edges of shadows (ie. hard or soft) while silks/diffusion will diffuse (soften) the edges, which is often times advantageous but should be implemented with an eye for what effect you're trying to achieve.

Scrims are the metal circle thingies, silks/diffusion are fabrics that are pre-determined sizes or other materials that can be cut like paper with scissors. They'll usually lower light intensity by a precise amount (ex. 1 stop, 2 stops, etc.) so they're easy to control. Trust me, you won't need to adjust the light by 1/15th of a stop.

Of course, the other alternative is to move the light farther away from the subject. You might get away with using a dimmer, but it's an unprofessional practice and if you plan to ever make movies for a living you might as well learn a better approach.
Allen Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna buy some scrims. Wish I hadn't bought the dimmer now.
The Dimmer/controller will be ok in some situations when continuity won't be a problem and I can have the noisy thing in another room.
Shooting in confined spaces and moving the light further away from the subject to get the intensity right usually wouldn't be possible.
Scrims and some thick leather gloves I think will work best.

cheers
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management