Lighting for DV question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting for DV question

I am having trouble finding information about how different types of light affect your Digital Videos. I am looking for the correct shutter speeds to match to the type of light source.
Any help or suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player

What type of lighting are you thinking about?
Offhand I can't think of any that require SHUTTER speed changes.Although flourescents may be affected by specific shutter speeds
Typically the type of light affects the "look " eg. Kinos are softer than Tungsten etc.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Light affect

It was in fact a set of flourescents, which , as I now find out had an old balast, which caused the video to have a strobe or flicker like affect. I deinterlaced the video in Premiere Pro and it looks much better now.
I am new to lighting , is there diffrent rules and techiques for lighting video then lighting film?
I had been told that shutter speed was a factor.
I have a lot to learn on this subject.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Re: Light affect

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Fraser : It was in fact a set of flourescents, which , as I now find out had an old balast, which caused the video to have a strobe or flicker like affect. I deinterlaced the video in Premiere Pro and it looks much better now.
I am new to lighting , is there diffrent rules and techiques for lighting video then lighting film?
I had been told that shutter speed was a factor.
I have a lot to learn on this subject. -->>>

Yes, you have to be careful what fluorescents you are using with what shutter.

As a general rule they have to be the same: when in 50Hz countries use 1/50 shutter, when in 60Hz countries go for 1/60 shutter. Other shutter options may cause flickering, and you would need a good location monitor to see them.

Better yet is to use flickerless fluorescentes, like those new fluo bulb replacements that became so popular. They allow you to use any shutter position and do fine.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management