Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 7th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD Basic lighting

Hi Guys,

I need some help figuring out what kind of lights we need to use for a feature??? We are planning to shoot a feature drama
And right now trying to setup equipment needs and budget…we are looking at the lighting equipment and there are so many
Different kind of lights from 1KW to 10 KW…Soft light, hard light, focus light…..HMO lights….what do we really going to need
As a basic lighting equipment to shoot a feature…many inside scenes…there are outside and night scenes as well…..!! We will be Shooting in HD with a F900 Sony Cinealta.

Thanks for any input

Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Gabor:

I assume you haven't hired a DP yet, as they would most certainly have ideas on their preferred lighting package. There's a few people here who could, if they were inclined, generate a lighting package which could be quite different than the next person; chances are your DP's desired package would be yet another variation. I think that perhaps you should focus on trying to obtain a small variety of previously produced feature budgets in the same range as your show, and find a median figure that you can plug into your budget rather than worrying about the minutia of which specific instruments should go on the truck.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with Charles, almost no two DP's will have the same ideas on lighting the same set. That is why we "Paint" with light, everyone paints a different picture... I tend to hover towards HMI's and Kino's, others like tungstens and practicals. But on many scenes, I would never let an HMI work, all tungsten... It depends on the scene and the DP, so a standard lighting and grip truck package can be sometimes the best way to get a large palette of colors for your movie! Best of luck, Gabor, and don't forget to have fun.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Chimera Lighting

I can try to help but maybe you should rent?

And a DP is the best money you can spend..

beside food.. for the cast and crew

r
Where are you? CA?

www.k5600.com joker 200

Mole digimole hmi

Chimera 8000 kit

Chimera Lantern

Avenger A475b

and on and on....

Hi Charles.. will you be at NAB.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hi Richard:

Didn't think I was going to be able to make it, but the feature I'm on is wrapping just in time for me to bop down to Vegas. I'll come say hi if I stroll past your booth!
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Chimera Lighting

Hope to see you.

I have a show posting in the announcments page

Thanks

r

PS.. if you can go look at www.liteshaper.com

and let me know what you think of the concept aka product

R

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management