Britek Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Britek Question

I am looking into the various Britek kits available on the web. And have noticed that SOME of the sites state that the lighting is suitable for SILENT video.

An example of a statement -

"Below you'll find High Powered Focusable Softbox lighting great for digital photography and video (silent). These top of the line Britek Pro Brifocus lights with heavy duty 8 foot stands are similar in design as famous "Brand X" (we can't mention their name here) costing triple the price! With these 600 or 1000 watt lights, the more lights you get the better lighting value! "

This leads me to believe that the Britek lights generate a hum in use? Anyone here use them and care to comment?

Thanks
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have also been looking at their products here -
http://www.rostronics.com/products.asp?cat=13.
I dont have any first hand info, but now I looked at their own web site and I am a little concerned, there is very little real info and it looks very amateurish !
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Major Player

The Rostronics website has received several favorable reviews here by members dealing with them. I think all their profits go into the Non-profit benefits the company is in business to support, and not into flashy website design.

I'm very close to buying from them and feel very confident based on the reviews I've read here. The lights aren't Arri's or Mole's, but I get the impression they are a good entry level set of lights.

From what I can gather, they are a value added reseller (VAR) for Britek lights, and as such may include slightly different stands, umbrellas, cases, etc, than the Britek packages on their website.

Any Britek owners willing to fill us in?
Any Rostronics customers willing to chime in?
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the dual head 1000 briteks( has 2- 500w bulbs in them ,you can turn on top bulb or bottom bulb or both).Very good light.No fans no hum no noise. The 32"softbox is quite nice and gives even light.They are made of a composite material.The light runs alot cooler than the redheads and cools off much faster.I have to wait 20 minutes for teardown of the redheads but a couple minutes with the Britek
The Britek has a safety cable and the barndoors are good.The gel clips on them look weak but seem to work ok.The heavy duty 8ft stand is quite solid.The lights have an umbrella mount on them.The one problem I see is that when locking the tiltdown it doesnt seem to bite very well.I added a serated washer and seems better.Tom Rost at Rostronics responded to my emails to him , next day(nobody else seems to do this)and was always helpful.
I'm not sure what the " silent" is all about.What I have is for video
here is another link for seperate lights http://www.rostronics.com/products.asp?cat=27
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The square lights are not focussable, no? The ones that look like hardware store worklights.

The ones that are focussable, seem to be the ones listed for "Silent" video on some of the various vendors websites.

So, still waiting for someone who has a set of the round, focusable briteks, to weigh in on why they would only be suitable for 'silent' video.
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #6
Major Player

1/The square lights don't look at all like work lights.
2/ Your right,they are not focusable
3/The focusable lights have a slider that moves the bulb in and out.They also do not have fans that could cause noise.
4/An option would be to email Tom at Rostronics and ask him why the term "silent"
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Jack,

By worklights, I mean they look like the square halogen worklights that can be purchased at some supply stores... same shape, dual bulbs. I have a pair I use for worklights.

I've got emails in to three sites that use the term 'silent'. Will report back.
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Patrick
My comment was regarding Briteks web site, not Rostronics.
I did find some favorable reviews of the lights and I believe the "Silent" designation refers to the fact that they dont use fans.
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management