DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #1
Chimera Lighting

The Chimera 8000 kit on special at BH - Link attached

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=257304&is=REG

What are you waiting for?
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

"What are you waiting for?"

Waiting for B&H to get some good sales people and a decent phone system. I called yesterday to order a Rifa. Waited 20 minutes before getting a human being, who was very rude and not helpful. He took order and then had to send me to credit card verification department. 20 more minutes. I opted out...40 minutes to spend my money? No way. So, I called back to make sure the order was cancelled...another 20-30 minutes killed to get to a human customer service person just to cancell an order! What a joke...

I called Guy at DVCreators.net and had every question answered and the order placed in 5 minutes.

I gave the customer service guy my number and told him specifically to have a manager call me to discuss why you're not getting my money.

Think I'll get a call? Not holding my breath...

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #3
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Thanks for bringing this uncharacteristic lapse to our attention. I know with whom you spoke and have already brought this to the attention of his sales manager. I also know that the fellow with whom you spoke is very much a "Nu Yawker" and that for some this brisk style can seem brusque. We regret your dissatisfaction and appreciate the opportunity to improve our service. Please accept our apologies.
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the reply, Henry. Since your phone system doesn't have an option for customer service, which I find possibly symbolic, I appreciate you taking time to post.

Just another thing that you might improve upon. I was buying a light and asked about purchasing a used stand. Well, he told me I'd have to be transferred to the "used" department. Come on...is this right? You guys don't have a database that can be accessed by all? Just for a light stand? No way was I going to risk another 20 minute wait again.

By the way, I'm originally from NY. Bad service isn't just about an accent...but an unwillingness to "serve" or help.

Thanks again for posting.

Kevin
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #5
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Wild : Thanks for the reply, Henry. Since your phone system doesn't have an option for customer service, which I find possibly symbolic, I appreciate you taking time to post.>>>

The phone system for sales is distinct from customer service so we don't occupy lines unnecessarily. When a customer calls from outside though, the caller is told to press 3 for customer service and 4 through 9 for different sales queues.

<<< Just another thing that you might improve upon. I was buying a light and asked about purchasing a used stand. Well, he told me I'd have to be transferred to the "used" department. Come on...is this right? You guys don't have a database that can be accessed by all? Just for a light stand? No way was I going to risk another 20 minute wait again.>>>

We keep the Used Dept segregated to insure both customer confidence and to minimize the possibility of error. No one buying new merchandise EVER wants to suepect for even a minute he or she might get used when paying for new.

<<< By the way, I'm originally from NY. Bad service isn't just about an accent...but an unwillingness to "serve" or help.

Thanks again for posting.>>>

Point taken & no argument. Thank you.
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Chimera Lighting

connecting new and used..not a bad idea

I think that is something Henry could look at and I think it could be done at least with Lighting on some level. Sorry your bh guy was off that day. They had the Purim holiday and things do get insaine but that is no excuse.
Sometimes in a sale things can go the wrong way for lots of reasons not always the salesmans fault but it is the salespersons job to maybe.. just say.

Hey can we start over? I want to do a better job helping you.

In this case if I was the salesperson I would call you on my own once this was brought to my attention.
And believe me Henry will set this straight and the salesperson is getting the evil eye from him right now.
Henry gave me that evil eye once... oh I still get a chill.....

Also had you been trying to buy the 8000 kit I might be inclined to send you some swag.. but I can see what I can get from Lowel for you if you send me your info.

Strength and honor

R
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Over the years I've probably spent $8K on stuff from B&H... every now and then I'll get somebody who's short with me... but sometimes I'll also get a guy who's trying TOO hard to help me!

(This wasn't really a problem, but once I was buying a really expensive tripod for a trv900 and the guy thought I was nuts, but I finally convinced him that I was getting a DVX and he let me get the good pod. LOL)

The gist is, that on balance, B&H is the FIRST place I go to anytime I want to buy something and 9.9 times out of 10 it's a perfect experience.

You gotta' realize that when a business makes it's living by being the CHEAPEST place to buy the BEST stuff and they ship it FAST and CHEAP... that not everything can be 100% perfect 100% of the time. I wouldn't hold something against a great company over ONE guy. The reason you waited on hold so long is the same reason I wait on hold so long. MOST of the time B&H is the best place to get anything... and the whole world knows it.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #8
Major Player

What did Yogi Berra say about his favorite restaurant...

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's always too crowded."

Something like that.

IF, and sometimes I cannot, but IF I can get the same product, at the same price, in the same amount of time...I'll go to the place that has human beings that answer the phone (aka smaller places). Glad you like B&H...obviously a lot of people do.

KW
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #9
Chimera Lighting

Re: connecting new and used..not a bad idea

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Veil : I think that is something Henry could look at and I think it could be done at least with Lighting on some level. Sorry your bh guy was off that day. They had the Purim holiday and things do get insaine but that is no excuse.
Sometimes in a sale things can go the wrong way for lots of reasons not always the salesmans fault but it is the salespersons job to maybe.. just say.

Hey can we start over? I want to do a better job helping you.

In this case if I was the salesperson I would call you on my own once this was brought to my attention.
And believe me Henry will set this straight and the salesperson is getting the evil eye from him right now.
Henry gave me that evil eye once... oh I still get a chill.....

Also had you been trying to buy the 8000 kit I might be inclined to send you some swag.. but I can see what I can get from Lowel for you if you send me your info.
you want chimera swag just ask... I am only being coy.

Strength and honor

R -->>>
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #10
Major Player

I've owned several businesses through the years and if there's ONE piece of advice I can PROMISE you... I'll bet my LIFE on this... it IS fact:

If you are pleasing 100% of the people 100% of the time you WILL go bankrupt.

When there is some procedure which helps your business run better... but inconveniences a few (out of hundreds) of people... do you change it? Trust me... the demands of the public NEVER end... they NEVER end... until you're bankrupt. Then everybody's 100% happy as you close your doors forever.

Is this that big of a deal? Nah... but the point remains... the tenacity of the public to make things better for themselves... no matter what the effect is on a company... will always be there.

Like I said, I've bought a TON of stuff from B&H... AND Trew... and the other pro-audio houses. There are reasons why I buy at every place I do.

Recently I bought a Canon 550ex from B&H... used. It was packed well, shipped promptly, and accurately described... AND it was priced well for a used item. What more do you want?

If you call B&H right after they open you'll never have that long hold time to deal with... I call them at 9:01. No problems.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

It's still on sale at BH...

Just ordered the Chimera 8000 kit today...and a bunch of other stuff!! Can't wait until it arrives.

My personal experiences with BH have been pretty good (I've spent $15,000+ at BH over the past 5 years).

A few months ago, I ordered the Tiffen DV Lens Kit (new) and it looked beat up. I called BH and they apologized, then gave me an RMA# and said my next order would be shipped for free. No hassle what so ever.

Saved $75 today on shipping, so I'm pretty happy with BH.
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #12
Chimera Lighting

Hi Mel

Thanks for checking out the kit.

There is a 1000 watt bulb if you need it.

Keep in mind the mogul socket works great in a lantern

and the videopro works with a tota ect with any brand speedring

A475B stand from Avenger is my boom of choice

r

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management