Identify these lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Identify these lights?

I picked these up recently, second hand.

I broke one of the front diffuser plate things in the front, and needed to replace it.

So I started to look on the light for a model # or such, and found NO writing anywhere on the lights. NOTHING. Opened them up, no where anywhere on them is any kind of identification on who made them, model, etc.

So, anyone have an idea as to who makes them and what they are?

Here are some pics: [img]

http://labpromag.com/temp/dolemite/lights/1.jpg

http://labpromag.com/temp/dolemite/lights/2.jpg

http://labpromag.com/temp/dolemite/lights/3.jpg
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Major Player

They could be home built?
Perhaps you could figure out what material the diffusionmaterial is.
Buy it and cut a new one yourself.

Regards,
Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Major Player

It appears to be an aquarium hood with a stirrup added to it. The top tube is definitely an aquarium tube... you can see the typical asymetrical biax color temp even when the tube is off... see how the top biax tube appears blue and white?

From the pics it appears to be well-made if it is a home-built. How much did they cost? Any options for dimming? Can you switch on/off individual tubes? And finally can you see the ballast or any info on the ballast?

If you remove one of the tubes you should be able to see the make and color temp at the base. Since this fixture appears to have three different tubes in it I'd pop 'em out and at the very least get three matching tubes... mixing color temps is great for aquariums but bad for video.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
From the pics it appears to be well-made if it is a home-built. How much did they cost? Any options for dimming? Can you switch on/off individual tubes? And finally can you see the ballast or any info on the ballast?

If you remove one of the tubes you should be able to see the make and color temp at the base. Since this fixture appears to have three different tubes in it I'd pop 'em out and at the very least get three matching tubes... mixing color temps is great for aquariums but bad for video.

Cost: well, I purchased them in a bundle, along with an XLS1, wireless mics, little mixer, the lights, and some audio gear. Not knowing ANYTHING about fluorescent lights, I think I itemized them at $150 or so.

Power: There is no fuction on it whatsoever. Just on and off.

These are the bulbs that are currently installed.

The top and bottom are:
Phillips PL-L 36W/35/48

And the middle is:
Osram Dulux L 36W/12/950

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Any where I can read up on the proper usage/placement and techniques of these? What are the primarily used for?
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management