Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Light stand recommendations for Parabeam 200

Hi all,
I'm looking for light stands for the Kino Flo Parabeam 200s.

Build quality, stability, and portability are important.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mel
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Mel, the 200s use baby-stud type stands (400s use junior-types) so here are a couple heavy duty baby stands that can support 17lbs, made by MSE and Avenger:

B387490 - Heavy Triple Riser -- Black
http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=...ducts_ID=25019
Weight: 7lbs
Load Capacity: 25lbs

A410B HIGH ALU-BABY WITH LAZY LEG
http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...150&itemid=419
Weight 8.9 lbs
Maximum Load Capacity 22.1 lbs

Addressing your concern for portability and weight, I didn't include C-stands made by either company, since they have the same weight capacity but weigh twice as much. As a matter of caution, I would always use sandbags on any stand carrying a non-centered instrument like the Parabeam.

I am a dealer for both these manufacturers, and can get any product they make.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

A stand's weight rating will be a good measure of how stable it is. I've got a local shop that has ParaBeams mounted on Matthew's C-Stands... and they're solid as a mutterfutter.

I like Manfrotto's model 3398B... and also the 8' "stacker" stands. You gotta' get the 8' version OR higher to get more solid legs. (The Manfrotto stands get exponentially more solid as the price and weight ratings go up... the 8' stackers are the minimum I'd use... the starting point.)

First decide what minimum/maximum height you want and then browse the B&H pages and see what you find... it won't be hard to find several great choices... and it's the most fun way I can think of to spend a couple hundred bucks... strip clubs aside.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Ditto what Rush said, be sure to bag the stands. Beefy Baby Double, or Triple Risers, or C-Stands would also be good. Matthews, American, Avenger, Norms, Modern Studio Equipment. To give yourself a little flexibility, try using an offset arm, 20 inch gobo arm, or a right angle baby pin. You can mount the yoke horizontally and be able to tilt the Parabeam at any angle. Be sure that the light is directly over one leg. The Parabeam is meant to be hung from a grid.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone...

...you guys are great!!!

Mel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management