In car lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 15th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

In car lighting

Has anyone had expirience lighting actors inside moving cars? I'm using an XL-1s inside of an '02 Passat. With the wide angle adapter I can get the views I want but as some of the shoots are at night, I need some form of lighting. I'd like something pretty subtle. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #2
Film Gal

You have a couple of choices for lighting night car interiors, both of which are motivated by the vehicle's own dash lights.

The first option is to rent a Kinflo miniflo kit which consists of two 9" fluorescent lights that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter of your car. They usually rent for about $45/day.

The second option is to purchase an inverter from Radio Shack or Sears and use a couple strings of white colored Christmas lights. Plug the inverter into your cigarette lighter and plug the lights into the inverter.

Mount the lights (either the miniflos or the Christmas lights) just under the frame line. They should provide just enough light to get a decent exposure w/out looking too obvious.

You may also want to stage the shot so that additional lights from store fronts or passing cars are not only visible from interior of the car but also occasionally shine into the the car.

Jessica Gallant
Los Angeles based Director of Photography
West Coast Systems Administrator, Cinematography Mailing List
http://www.cinematography.net
Jessica Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 05:45 AM   #3
Major Player

In Car Lighting

If this is a stationary shoot, as opposed to a vehichle on the move, try a couple of 500 watt to 1K on the floor of said vehicle, for an extremely dramatic shot.

Also, with these new cameras, the overhead lights in the vehicle, can occassionally add a nice touch. Obviously, out of sight, of the capture creature's lens.

BoB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management