DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

master degree in cinematography

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question.

I am trying to find a good master degree in cinematography. I recently finished a 4 year career at university but i need to learn some more about lighting.

At NYFA there is not much, or at least i cannot find it in its web.
And i am completely loss searching in the West coast.

So i was hoping if anyone could help me or gime some address or advice.
Thanks a lot!
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you have lots of money, AFI may be a good choice. As far as I know, unlike other film schools you get to work with industry-level equipment (not hand me downs), and being a graduate from that program means something.
http://www.afi.com/education/Conservatory/default.aspx

You can also check out the book "film school confidential", which has some information on AFI.

2- It may make more sense to get out there and work your way up. Instead of spending the money on tuition, get a minimal amount of gear to learn off of.

You'll gain industry experience, make connections, and have the potential to earn income. If you go to school, you're spending time at school (which doesn't make you $) and when you graduate, your degree doesn't mean that much. It may help you get a foot in the door, but then you'll kind of be behind if you instead just started looking for work.

There may be a union or association in your city with a listing of cinematographers and you can offer to work/volunteer for them.

3- Yeah I think this is the wrong forum. A moderator will move this thread to the lighting (photon management) forum or something like that, so it's not a big deal.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Thread moved to the lighting forum!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management