DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

led opinions

This past weekend we shot some footage on our Z1's with litpanel on camera lighting and a kino flo diva and 4ft-4bank and it came out pretty well. The problem is those kino flo's are big, i need something more portable for some of the shoots we do.

We shoot adult entertainment, usually small indoor sets with lighting just concentrating on a small area, i am sure you get the idea. The key is lots of soft light. I was looking at the new litepanels 1ft light, what is your opinion on using a few of these and how many would i really need to light up a scene? Will the light be soft and a good match for what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks, I am still a newbie here, but this site has been invaluable
Joe
Joe Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #2
Major Player

The 1 foot looks like an impressive and flexible light - I wouldn't consider it a soft source though. You would still need to diffuse it.

Have you considered a couple of large chinese lanterns? They would give you a great soft source. You could even put one on a boom and move with the camera for your "close-ups".

Go for the flourescent variety given the aerobic nature of your projects.

Last edited by Patrick Gault; May 12th, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think the only way for us to accurately assess your needs is for you to post some sample material, otherwise we'd just be guessing...

...sorry, couldn't help it, you set the bait! ;-)
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Murphy
I think the only way for us to accurately assess your needs is for you to post some sample material, otherwise we'd just be guessing...

...sorry, couldn't help it, you set the bait! ;-)
i've got no problem with that, i could use expert opinions ;-) Anyone that could give me some suggestions on quality, portable softlight would be appreciated. I need lights that could be packed into one or two large rolling suitcases and bath a small room, like a hotel room.
Joe Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Chimera Lantern - Tungsten
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=119037&is=REG

Gyoury Lantern - Flourescent
http://www.meansst.com/cgi-bin/SoftC...html?E+scstore
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Gault
The 1 foot looks like an impressive and flexible light - I wouldn't consider it a soft source though. You would still need to diffuse it.

Have you considered a couple of large chinese lanterns? They would give you a great soft source. You could even put one on a boom and move with the camera for your "close-ups".

Go for the flourescent variety given the aerobic nature of your projects.
Patrick,
Thank you for your description of our light. The 12X is being designed to offer the end user the ability to change the focal illumination direction within the unit, therefore allowing the lite to offer up many different values in many different situations. From hard light to soft light. That is our hope. But I do appreciate your retrospective on our product.
Joe,
In response to your questions about lighting, I feel that lighting is always about "balance". If you keep things in balance, and it all looks good to eye, you'll do great.

Sincerely,

Pat Grosswendt
Managing Partner
Litepanels
Pat Grosswendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you're lucky enough to have a white ceiling (or walls) where you shoot, consider bouncing an open face or fresnel off it. Great soft light. Doing the same with white foamcore or (egads) an umbrella can help get you there too. Just don't get too close or you'll burn something!

Cheers,

-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management