Battery Suggestions for Lowel Omni and Pro Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Battery Suggestions for Lowel Omni and Pro Light

If u have been following my post, I am building my lighting. I have some Lowel Omni and Pro Lights. I am VERY INTERESTED in using the Pro Light for some on camera lighting, but what kind of 12 volt battery do i get? A simple Gel Cell from Batteries plus? Something VERY expensive from Adorama or B&H? LOL... How long will the battery last with the 100 volt 12 volt light?

Obviously my battery need for the pro light is something that needs to go in a photo vest, belt etc...

As long as Im on the subject...What kind of battery for the Omni lights 12 volt version?
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Am I mistaken, or does the Omni need AC 110volt to operate? Or is this a different model Omni?

I have two Omni's and both need AC to operate.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

The omni will operate on 12 volt, but you need to change the bulb, (EYL BULB 100 Watts)reflector and of course connector. I see there is a battery charger plug available, but not sure how long it would run.

Thus the reason i am trying to find out the battery recommendations. I got some deep cycle batteries i may try them with...

For the Pro Light it looks like Bescor is the answer.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Must be something I can retro fit. I'll have to check this out at Lowel's site.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

I would question the sanity of putting 100 watts of light on an HV30 (or any camera) for lighting. Not only will the heat generation be harmful to you (and the camera), but you are putting a harsh spotlight a few inches above the lens...talk about flat lighting. Without knowing your motives, I would suggest that you use off-camera lighting (AC) or on camera LED lights that will give you decent output on small batteries.
The NRG Varilux can be fitted with MR16 bulbs of various power and dimmed quite easily via onboard potentiometer. A Ni-Cad battery belt will power the rig for a few hours (depending on wattage and dimmer setting).
Please tell me you're not shooting weddings with a 100watt on-camera light. Talk about intrusive video! This is what gave videographers a bad rep back in the 1980's.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Oren, I was one of those guys in the 80's who shot weddings with a 100 watt Pro-light! LOL
It was as horrible then as it is now. To answer David's question, a 100 watt dc bulb demands approximately 8.3 amps to run. If you have a 4amp gel battery you would get about a 1/2 hour of continuous light. With resistance, wind speed and demons you'll be lucky to get 20 to 25 minutes. Oh . . . and you'll get the worst quality light you could imagine.
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Orien..

Nope not shooting Weddings with this light. I shoot industrial video in very dark dirty factories

Sometime i need some very hard and strong light to show a machine is leaking oil, seepage etc..

I would most likely have the light off camera on a light stand..

Thanks...
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

No need to add extra vowels to my name, two is enough...but thanks anyway. My previous advice still stands. NRG Varilux with a NiCad belt will be stand mountable, angle adjustable, wattage adjustable (via bulb change) and portable enough to drag around (wearing the battery belt when necessary). It's ruggedly built and you can even throw on dichroic filters to change color temp. I've had mine at least 10 years (and only went through 2 battery belts!). Granted, it doesn't get as much use as previously, but I know it will fire up when I need it.

Make sure when you post your questions, you give us all the details of your needs and shooting situations so you'll get better responses.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management