Gobos and Holders for Lowel Omni Lights at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Major Player
Gobos and Holders for Lowel Omni Lights

I have been surfing the rosco site trying to figure out if there is a Gobo Holder and Gobos avail for the lowel totas, I have not found an answer. Im not quite sure i know how to size a holder for the lowel omni light.

Any other users out there using gobos with your omni lights?

Vegas 8.0c (Build 260)-(Upgraded to Sony Vegas 10 pro)Canon GL2, Canon HV30, HF200, HF20-Sony UWP Wirelesss Mic Kit, Intel Core 2 CPU-6600@2.40GHz-3.00GB Ram
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Major Player
My guess (not knowing the details of your production, camera type, additional lighting sources, budget or 'look') is that you would want a separate light stand with a grip head for your gobo. This allows you to create a sharper definition of the cookie (if that is what you are using). You can also support much more weight and a larger gobo, plus there is less risk of burning fabric gobos if they are further from the light source. A C-stand or boom-arm and two grip heads will last you forever and a day. Well worth the expense.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew
+1 on Oren's insight. I'm a Tota owner and fan, but they do throw light all over the place...I've not found any on-Tota-mountable holders or frames that can really tame or control the light beyond a 40" umbrella. One can get flags, scrims, gobos, and so forth commercially, or one can buy large filter sheets and make holders oneself with 1/4" PVC piping from the hardware store, even without using glue.

C-stands are awesome but any light stand would do, although arm-equipped c-stands are especially good for keeping the stands out of your shots in tight quarters or with light sources that are very close to your talent.
designer of media for eyes and ears
sound design and field recording at http://www.noisejockey.net/blog
Nathan Moody is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management