Switronix TL-50 or the litepanels LPmicro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Switronix TL-50 or the litepanels LPmicro?

I'm looking for an inexpensive versatile on camera light that can adapt to various situation.
I'm considering either the Switronix TL-50 or the litepanels LPmicro. Both are about the same price point. Any suggetion or recomendation?
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

First of all I wouldn't consider LP Micro. It's flimsy and has a weak output. I did some comparison videos before. You can take a look how LP Micro output compared to other lights.
6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout | L.A. Color Blog

Regarding the TorchLED light, the spec said it's 280 lux at 1meter in 5600K color temp. Comer 900 light has a 900 lux output at 1 meter. Shooting 5600K indoor will make everything looks very blue. Thus you will need to apply a gel filter to lower the color temp. However, at the same time, it will decrease the overall light output.

Check out the Comer 900 light that is cheaper but provides much better output
Comer CM-LBPS900 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks but i changed my mind think i'm going to get something better maybe the litepanel miniplus.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I checked out the LP MiniPlus spec. It outputs at 1100 lux at 0.6 meter distance. Big drop to 280 lux at 1.2 meter. The Comer 1800 light outputs at 1800 lux at 1 meter. It will outperform LP MiniPlus but $240 cheaper.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player

i found this demo
Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop
I'm going to look into it. thanks for your help.
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Trustee

If I was looking for a small portable light to use as a hand held fill light, I'm guessing just about any of these would work?
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The Comer 900 will be a great choice. Small, portable, good output, and inexpensive.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks! I'll give it a try
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Taky

I'm looking for a versatile LED that I can use for indoor as a hairlight or a backlight for interviews, but also have the versatility of being battery powered on the go if the need arises. The idea of using an LED is also that I suppose it would be pretty light and maneuverable on a boom above the subject as well as 'cool' for the subject.

I was also considering the Coollights 75w CDM. I have their large LED panels and I'm happy with them. I'm sure it would have higher output but probably not as versatile as the Comer 1800 though a bit cheaper though it is focusable.

Do you have any thoughts on a choice?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Trustee

Keith why not take a look at the Coollight LED256 light.
CL-LED256 256 LED Spot - Cool Lights USA

Granted it won't be used as an on camera light, but it will work wonderfully as a hair/spot/background light. It runs on Sony NP batteries or any other AC/DC power.

I just ordered their LED600 panel as well as the LED256, which should be here next week.
I have heard very good feedback about the LED256 and many of the Coolight products.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management