DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Learning Lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/46658-learning-lighting.html)

Matt Sawyers June 23rd, 2005 12:02 AM

Learning Lighting

Does anyone know of some good resources on how to lighting? I have searched the internet and these forums. I have come up with a coupole of articles here and there. I have also found a bunch of books, but which one to get? and videos?
~Thanks
Matt

Jeff Sayre July 1st, 2005 05:40 PM

I'm not a lighting expert as 99% of the time I use ambient, outdoor lighting. The reason is that I'm a wildlife videographer. Capturing nature in natural (not artificial) light is one important aspect of what I do.

However, I am learning more about studio and field lighting so that I can venture into other video forms (shorts, etc) in the future.

Here is a DVD (not book) that should give you the essentials:

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...8-51b10f22fcfd

I cannot say if it's the best book on the subject. The true experts here will be able to comment on that!

Barry Gribble July 1st, 2005 05:54 PM

When I was starting out I got "Lighting for Digital Video & Television" by John Jackman and thought it gave a very good overview of not only how to light, but why.

Good luck.

Chris Hurd July 2nd, 2005 12:16 AM

Also check out Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light and Depth." Back in print on Amazon.

Glenn Chan July 2nd, 2005 01:12 AM

I have both Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light and Depth" and "Lighting for Digital Video & Television" by John Jackman. Lighting for Digital Video & Television is a very practical book and goes into a lot of detail on how to light and the why part.
It gives technical information for how to light (what you need, how to power the lights without blowing fuses, safety) and how to do it on a low budget.
It also gives "formula" solutions for common lighting scenarios, like interviews.

Matter's of Light and Depth doesn't really get into that kind of information. It has more of a focus on expanding your creativity and artistry in lighting.

Richard Veil July 12th, 2005 03:32 PM

Light Science Magic -[ B00k

This Book Will Show You The Math

Then You Can Do Some Cyphering

Michael Gibbons July 12th, 2005 04:39 PM

I found the jackman book pretty useful. It might be especially helpful to read it to familiarize oneself with the basics, and then a stack of American Cinamatogapher magazines- an experiance which is far more rewarding when you know what an inky, a c-47, or a practical is.

Stephen Duke July 14th, 2005 06:36 PM

"Lighting for Digital Video & Television" by John Jackman and Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light and Depth." are an absolute must for anyoune learning the techinques of lighting. Both very well written. A third that you could add to your collection would be "Set Lighting Technicians's Handbook" by Harry C. Box. This is the beginers guide to becoming a gaffer.
steve

Guest July 18th, 2005 07:32 AM

Lighting Book

Matt,

Similar opinion as Glen's above.

I REALLY like the John Jackman book. I've also seen him around here in these forums, which I think is cool. I bought "Matters of Light and Depth" and "Painting with Light" at the same time, which seem to be good as well. But John's book "Lighting for Digital Video & Television allows you to jump right in. I've been reading it every chance that I've had. He's a good writer and covers it all.

Mike Cook July 18th, 2005 08:28 AM

I have read all the above (and many more) and agree they are very useful. However the purchase I made that really helped me the most is the "Power of Lighting for Film and Video" series by Bill Holshevnikoff.

I think the reason I found it soooo helpful was the fact it was a visual demonstration of what I had learned from all those books. I think most of us are visual learners and this series puts it all together on screen for you. It includes lighting diagrams with all different kinds of lights from Lowel Pro lights to Arri HMI's. Meaning, this applies to the little light kit I have as well as the full gaffer truck. Just the little stuff like watching how a flag or scrim is set to control spill was huge for me. Yeah, I understood it all from reading, but after seeing it just once on the screen it really gelled for me. Maybe I am a dope but seeing works for me.

It is a four VHS (yuck) series. The cheapest I have found it is $100 from

http://www.konalight-shoppingcart.co...2/merchant.mvc

Hope that helps

Mike

Richard Veil July 18th, 2005 09:29 AM

www.power-of-lighting.com

I agree. Bill is great.

He has tapes and does seminars. dvexpo ect.

I passed along your compliment to him

r

Doug Bischoff July 19th, 2005 09:44 AM

DVD maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Veil
I agree. Bill is great.

He has tapes and does seminars.

Could he perhaps produce a DVD version?

Richard Veil July 19th, 2005 11:26 AM

DVD and perhaps some new stuff

I think he is working on some new stuff inc dvd

Jeff Patnaude July 19th, 2005 02:51 PM

Bill is great. He used to write an article for a video magazine some years ago, and I clipped every one and keep them in a binder. For a long time when I'd get ready to do a shoot, I would refer to one of thearticles to get a rough idea of how to approach a lighting situation.

I met him at a seminar in 1999, and asked why he didn't print a "how-to" book. He said that the magazine owned all of the articles. Darn.

Even better- talked my work into sending me to The Workshops in Maine to their "advanced Lighting" seminar. Absolutely, hands down, no doubt about it one of the most creatively envigorating, nuts and bolts, hands-on, in depth seminar around. It gave me a basic precept to approach all lighting. It was a simple thing, but a light went on (ha-pun) and it's been helpful every since. You are there with a group of peers- all interested in the same thing. When you go to eat- you are surrounded by creative people writing, talking, photographing, planning-creating. Really inspiring. Highly recommend them to anyone who can swing the tuition.

Jeff Patnaude

Chris Byrnes July 22nd, 2005 05:05 PM

Walter Graff is currently creating a DVD series on lighting. See
http://www.bluesky-web.com/dvd1headshot.htm

But be aware that Walter sometimes changes his mind about things.