LED-35 Dimmable LED On Camera Light vs Litepanels Micro LED on Camera Light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Michael L: I also use a couple of stand mounted lights (Receptionlight.com) in conjunction with the on-camera light. Are you saying the LED color temp of your on-camera light mixes well with the tungsten stand lights? That didn't work well at all for me, so I went with a Zylight Z-90 since it does tungsten (3200K) really well.

IMO, the Zylight Z-90 is the only professional LED light available. It's too bad the price is fixed at such a high level. It's not self powered, but there are several low-profile under camera (between tripod & camera) battery options, so it's pretty unobstrusive and keeps the CG low.

Reggie: The Bescor tungsten lights are really a great value. Not sure about the LED ones, but I bet the color is all over the place.

Jeff
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #17
Trustee

Jeff my current LED lights (Comer CM1800) are already balanced to be 4500k which in most cases, mixes nicely with tungsten lighting or natural daylight. If I want Tungsten balanced I simply flip down the 3200k diffuser on the light and it works just fine. The light output is very powerful for this LED light, so pulling down the 3200k diffuser isn't a major deal for me. And since it also has a spot focus filter, it can also become a powerful 3200k light with both filters applied.

My next off camera lighting solution is going to be the CoolLight LED256 (CL-LED256 256 LED Spot - Cool Lights USA), which is also daylight balanced, but has a 3200k filter that can be slid into the light to make it 3200k. I do lose about 1-2 stops of light by doing this, but the light itself is spot configured, dimmable, self powered or AC/DC powered, and can operate at a max of 250 watts of output, while only drawing 25w of juice. So it should be at least as strong as my 75w off camera lighting solution if not much stronger if needed. And with only 25w of draw, I should be able to run it on either a Sony NP battery or Tekkeon battery for pretty much all night. Without the need to lug around a large Bescor belt.

I currently have both the LED600 (http://www.coollights.biz/clled600-panel-p-114.html) and LED256 for studio use. But am going to test out the 256 for Receptionlight style shooting for events. I have also talked to the developer about a remote controlled version of his LED lights. Which might be a possibility for the future.

I agree whole heartedly about the Zylight Z90's, but can't afford to but 2-4 of them for my use. I am also not fond of the fact that they aren't self powered (for on camera use) and really eat the juice from your batteries. but the overall operation and functionality of the light is phenomenal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management