DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Creamsource LED light. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/467032-creamsource-led-light.html)

Bob Grant November 3rd, 2009 05:52 AM

Creamsource LED light.

Ours arrived today: Outsight

This is one BRIGHT light. I can vouch for the claim that it's as bright as a 575W HMI. Apart from being the usual dimmable LED light source it can also create random or regular flashes to simulate lightning as well as sync to black. DMX control is also provided.
Construction is excellent, all machined Al. The blue anodising makes this instrument standout.
My only concern is this light is really multiple light sources and can produce multiple shadows as a result. There appears to be a diffuser coming for this light which should get around this issue.
Worth noting that the unit costs around the same as a top shelf 575W HMI.
Everything else is covered in the specs. We also acquired the cable to run this light off a bank of AB Li-Ion bricks although at full power of 400W I would estimate runtime as under 1 hour.

Dan Brockett November 5th, 2009 12:31 PM

Hi Bob:

Can you post the cost in .AU dollars? Would like to know if we are talking U.S. $3,000.00 or $6,000.00? 575 HMIs have a pretty large cost range. Would enjoy seeing some setups you have used this light to light.

Dan

Bob Grant November 5th, 2009 03:06 PM

Asking price is roughly AUD 8,000. Sorry I can't be more accurate but it wasn't paid for on my account. We have the first unit to be released into the wilds and there is one aspect to this unit that needs a rethink.
The DC power lead is affixed to the light and has a large strain relief. Doesn't sound like much of an issue until you try to find a case to fit the unit. The lead protruding from the rear doubles the effective depth of the unit. I've already changed the tilt clamp knobs to save a couple of centimeters in the width of the unit.
I'll try to get some better photos of the unit, the ones on the website are horrid and do no justice to it at all.
It'll take a while to get some shots of setups. The unit heads off interstate for a shoot so I'll have to wait for it to return before taking any shots. As we only have one doing a setup will be interesting but I'll see what I can come up with. The light source is a very clean 6,000K. Should work very well with HMI sources. Not too bad to look into, no unpleasant after image unlike some of the very cheap LED sources that leave a zillion green dots in my retina.

Dan Brockett November 5th, 2009 04:52 PM

Hi Bob:

Thanks for the reply. Wow, that's U.S. $7,200.00 for one light? I don't think I would pay that much for one light even if I was wealthy. I really like HMIs and I am sure that this new light is very nice but that is just not a practical price for most users these days.

Dan

Tama Berkeljon November 9th, 2009 10:55 PM

Hey All,

This is my first post on this forum, so I would like to introduce myself a little.
Im one of the inventors/designers of the Creamsource, and are based in Sydney, Australia.
Firstly, thanks so much for all the comments, thoughts and feedback, it's all truly invaluable, Please keep it coming !
Re Bob's Post and comments regarding the cable protruding out the back of the unit, We have a simple fix for this problem and would like to offer this as an option at purchase until we get an idea about demand for this feature. It enables the connector panel to be swapped out with a low profile socket to accept the Amphenol line plug. (And Bob, we will do this Mod to your unit as soon as the unit is available)
Re pricing, the cost of traditional fixtures can greatly increase when you start to buy bulbs/tubes for them, and unfortunately a fixture that starts cheap, will eat through a lot of expensive lamps in its lifetime..... anyhow, just food for thought.
I promise we will get some better pictures up on the website ASAP, Hopefully by the end of the day.... so please check back soon.
Thanks again for all the comments, we are a relatively small organisation, so we take all thoughts and suggestions to heart and try our best to implement them quickly.
Cheers again, Tama.

Dan Brockett November 9th, 2009 11:15 PM

Thanks for posting Tama. The light does look amazing, if not inexpensive.

Dan

Bob Grant November 12th, 2009 04:54 AM

Tama,
thanks from me as well. We are certainly looking forward to the modification!

One other question if I may.
Are the lenses on the LEDs changeable by the user?

Tama Berkeljon November 13th, 2009 07:52 PM

Hey there Bob,
Unfortunately the Lenses are not user-changeable, due to the manufaturing difficulties of such. What we have implemented instead, is our micro-lens which you can drop in the front gel holder to widen the beam from spot to flood. It has a very high efficiency so you can effectively make a nice flood source from a spot lens arrangement, and its faster than changing 84 pesky lenses... :)

Tama Berkeljon April 2nd, 2010 07:29 AM

Update

Thanks to everyone who has enquired after reading this post !

We will be attending NAB 2010 to show off the Creamsource and meet people and will be guests on the AbelCineTech Booth (Booth #C8740) if you have any enquiries and are attending the show, please come and make yourselves known, it would be great to meet you !

Also, Mitch Gross at AbelCineTech has made a neat video explaining some of the features of the Creamsource which you can find here : Outsight Creamsource LED Light | CineTechnica

Thanks for reading !

All the best,

Tama.