My Cool Lights Experience - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Tim, I like your setup for the talking head. Could you elaborate on all of the various pieces of equipment and lights you used and what function they served? Thanks!
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Tom,

I had a flourescent light as the key, an LED 256 for a hair light, a reflector for opposite side fill and an LED 256 pointed at the wall for a background gradient.

I put an ND filter on in my camera and exposed the background around f2.8 for a shallow DOF then setup the lights while not changing the camera iris. Use the preview monitor as your eyes to move the lights around at that point.

Here is the view from the camera:
Attached Thumbnails
My Cool Lights Experience-still.jpg  
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks. The close up really shows the details of your lighting.Nice . Which florescent light did you use at what wattage?
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I used the Cool Lights 4 bank flo. I can't remember if I had two or four banks on.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks again Tim
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I used the Cool Lights 4 bank flo. I can't remember if I had two or four banks on.
Tim I light my interviews similar to you (1 large key, reflector for fill, hair light, background accent light), but I never thought about turning on the camera ND filter for added depth indoors. I'll have to give this a try for my next interview, as I normally don't have enough room to get proper separation and depth of field in the small rooms I shoot in.

Nice review again and thanks for the lighting info.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; November 13th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Tim:

I love when talent shows up in a bleach white shirt, nothing better. You need to flag that guy's shirt off, it is much brighter than his face. Tough to cut with soft light too although it can be done.

For corporate interviews, I always send along a wardrobe guideline sheet (no patterns, no houndstooth, checkered, striped, no white, yellow, cream, light blue shirts, minimal or no jewelery, anti-reflective lens glasses, etc.). Nice lighting overall. I too love my Coollights 600s, they have been all I used for talking heads in 2009. Need to order the 256 too.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hey Dan,

I am not bothered by the white shirt. In post, most of the shirt area is still showing detail, so it is white, but not blown out.

I did have the bottom barn door on the flo up a bit, but your right, the light goes everywhere.

The company had two shirts, one denim blue and the white version.

We thought it was important to have a different look on each speaker and the other guy had the demin shirt.

Thanks for your comments.

Lighting is the big area for perpetual growth.
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Major Player

One trick I've seen done before, but requires a fresnel and wouldn't work well with LEDs or flos, is to put a gel on half the light (bottom half) and aim it just so that only the shirt is covered. Use whatever color of gel you like but that should take the brilliant white out of the shirt and transform it to anything from just dimmer (ND) to another subtle color. Also, this should be a good use for a half scrim as well...
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The real challenge when using soft light and this situation is getting a good cut that significantly reduces the output, just on the shirt. Tough with softlight because you really need to position a flag or net about 3' in front of the soft source and that means placing the whole light, stands and flag/cutter far enough back to not be in picture. Which makes a a soft light weaker and harder. Which means it is really tough to do. If you cut it right at the light, there is not cut, you are just cutting down on overall output.

Easy with hard lights, not so easy with softlights unless you have a LARGE softbox and a light with enough horsepower to give you the exposure you need from a farther distance back.

White and light colored shirts are the bane of my existence in interviews, I cannot live with the shirt being the brightest thing in frame but if your client digs it, that's all that matters.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Well, personal tastes are varied.

My client does not dig it, when looking at the frame, I do not see over exposed white. There is a lot of detail in the shirt.

I tell people not to wear white, close stripes etc... as well. I just don't see the issue with this frame. My eyes are still drawn to his face. He just happens to be wearing a white shirt.

It is not like I have casper the friendly ghost here.
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Tim I light my interviews similar to you (1 large key, reflector for fill, hair light, background accent light), but I never thought about turning on the camera ND filter for added depth indoors. I'll have to give this a try for my next interview, as I normally don't have enough room to get proper separation and depth of field in the small rooms I shoot in.

Nice review again and thanks for the lighting info.
Thanks for your comments.

You might want to check your camera about the ND filter.

Before I started using HD cameras, my SD cameras' filter wheel was tied to white balance. So one could never use an ND if in a 3200k environment. Although this shoot was at 5600k.

Many newer cameras have filters independent of white balance which is a great tool.
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I thought I would add that I just got my CoolLights LED's in today. And WOW they are nice! And bright! I ordered:

1 - LED 600 spot 5600k
2 - LED 600 flood 5600k
2 - LED 256 spot 5600k
5 - CL-LS2A stands for them all
1 - Softbox for LED 600 spot

I was worried about the "punch" these LEDs would have and I have to say, they are very powerful. Even the LED 256 will blind you even at distance. The only thing I'm worried about is how the LED 256 will work with a cookie on a wall. But, otherwise, I'm thrilled with my decision and cant wait to use them!
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #29
Major Player

"The only thing I'm worried about is how the LED 256 will work with a cookie on a wall."

It won't work that well. A fresnel is still great for some uses. Thats why we still make them.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Good question

I was about to buy one of the LED 256 to use with a cookie but I did not think about this.
Anyone has a pic of the LED 256 and a cookie pattern on the wall?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
"The only thing I'm worried about is how the LED 256 will work with a cookie on a wall."

It won't work that well. A fresnel is still great for some uses. Thats why we still make them.
Santos Ramos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management