My Cool Lights Experience - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #31
Inner Circle

I have tried a cookie pattern with the LED 256 and it does not work.

The problem I see is that there are 256 light sources, so what you see on the wall is 256 interpretations of the pattern.

Too bad as the temperature lets you put anything you want in front of the lights.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #32
Trustee

Is there a way that one could condense the light source to be more concentrated.
Kind of like a filter that would condense down the light to a narrow single beam.

A kind of prism filter?
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #33
Major Player

I would like to get my hands on one of those plastic fresnel lenses like they use on overhead projectors. I have a feeling that those could be interesting for changing the beam somewhat. I'm still not sure though that it would be enough to convert 256 (or 600 for that matter) small sources to something similar to what you'd get with one very good point light source like an HMI or tungsten fresnel. Hard to beat those brilliant little bulbs for that particular kind of use. Otherwise, for the other 90% of what you use a hard light for, LEDs can do most of it. They just don't do "shadow rendering" well.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Richard:

Do you have any of the LED 256 in stock here? I may need one for a shoot in Europe I am doing. Need to speak with the client about if we are going to shoot interviews while there. Let me know.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
I would like to get my hands on one of those plastic fresnel lenses like they use on overhead projectors.
Heck, I have an old overhead projector, I wonder if I could lay this 256 inside it firing out the glass top and through the reflector onto the wall. The reflector has that lens you are talking about. I could put the cookie pattern on the overhead glass like it was a transparency; although, it wouldn't look professional. For that matter, I could even try taking the thing apart and putting the lens directly onto the 256. Richard, you should get a few used overheads and experiment with that. That's a good idea. I would imagine that whoever made those lenses for overhead companies could easily make one to fit whatever specs you needed. It's not a precision part like eyeglass lenses so i would guess that it would be inexpensive to make.
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Richard:

Do you have any of the LED 256 in stock here? I may need one for a shoot in Europe I am doing. Need to speak with the client about if we are going to shoot interviews while there. Let me know.

Thanks,

Dan
Yes sir, plenty of them in stock now. Have fun in Europe!
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael LaHatte View Post
Heck, I have an old overhead projector, I wonder if I could lay this 256 inside it firing out the glass top and through the reflector onto the wall. The reflector has that lens you are talking about. I could put the cookie pattern on the overhead glass like it was a transparency; although, it wouldn't look professional. For that matter, I could even try taking the thing apart and putting the lens directly onto the 256. Richard, you should get a few used overheads and experiment with that. That's a good idea. I would imagine that whoever made those lenses for overhead companies could easily make one to fit whatever specs you needed. It's not a precision part like eyeglass lenses so i would guess that it would be inexpensive to make.
I don't know if it will be enough, it may require distance between the LEDs and the fresnel lens as well. If they're super close to the lens, it may negate much of the value of the lens. And if that turns out to be true, it means having to build a rig that slides down into the accessory slide but puts the lens out a bit from the light. We just need to experiment with such a lens to see if it even works at all at any distance.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Based on what I've read here and what I've been reading about LEDs in general lately, I just bought two 256's, and might have to add a 600 later this year or early next. I'm not a huge lighting guy myself and just use them primarily for indoor interview lighting but these appear like they'll replace the used Arri kit I acquired recently. I still have a couple of CoolLights Fresnels as backup for cookies or something, but if I could get rid of the Arri "suitcase" I'd be happy, and so would my back. :)

Now I just need a case that will suitably carry my 455PMD and the two 256's... :)

Thanks for making great products, Richard!
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Could I run the CL-LED600 600 LED Panel on a Sony EX3 battery?
Francois Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #40
Major Player

Francois,

We don't have battery adaptation for that battery to an LED 600. You'd need to DIY something if you could find a battery plate that would take that battery. Not easy probably. We only supply optionally either the V mount or AB mount type plates for the LED 600. Additionally you can input any unregulated or regulated DC source from 10V to 24V into the 4 pin XLR input of the LED 600 and power it that way--so something like a battery belt for example. Hope this helps.

Ryan,

Thanks for your comments! Glad to hear it. For the carrying case, if its for air travel, I would recommend looking at Pelican or Storm cases as a starting point.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Richard, thanks, I wish to order but need to find 2 V-mount batteries and a charger. Any recommendation?
I love the softbox you sell with the 600 - just what we need.
Francois Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Francois, if you happen to be in Central Switzerland give me a call. I can show you my Coollights LED setup. I have three 600's with softboxes and two 256's.
I' located in Cham near Zug. You'll find me under augenblick dot net.

Peter
Peter Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM   #43
Major Player

Thanks Francois for your interest. You might try globalmediapro.com, I know a lot of people choose that one and I've got a couple of them myself. They work fine. Otherwise a lot of the Bescor battery belt solutions are very economical but of course much larger and heavier so its a tradeoff between battery size and weight for price to get the more compact lithium types like those used for the V mount or AB mount kind.

Peter thanks for helping out like that. Peter is quite an LED expert as well so he can explain a lot about what you're seeing if you go by there.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Hi Richard

I didn't dare to mention globalmediapro here, but as a matter of fact I have all my LED600's run on batteries from them and they are perfect. 190Wh RED compatible that is.

Peter
Peter Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM   #45
Major Player

Hi Peter, I know what you mean. ;-)
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management