DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   whitebalancing mixed light - fluoro and natral (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/468230-whitebalancing-mixed-light-fluoro-natral.html)

Mark Shea November 23rd, 2009 05:03 AM

whitebalancing mixed light - fluoro and natral

I am using a new fluoro lighting kit with a pink filter to cut greens. I was told fluoros increase green and pink overrides this.

Inside I whitebalanced in front of talent which gave nice skin tones under fluoro. But infortunately light coming through windows came out with a green tinge.

Would removing pink filter over fluoro help reduce this?

Any suggestions how to get good whitebalance in mixed light ie fluro and natural light.

Dean Sensui November 23rd, 2009 05:13 AM

If you white balanced with the fluorescent lights and the window light was greenish, then your fluorescent lights are too magenta.

You might not need the pink "minus green" filter after all. And the minus green filters come in 1/4, 1/2 and full.

Fluorescent lights come in a myriad of characteristics. Some are warm with a touch of green. Some are bluish. Some have a mean green spike. And some are very, very close to real daylight. You'll need to do some testing to know for sure, and/or have a spectrophotometer handy to determine the light's spectral distribution.

Besides knowing the lamp's color temp, you should take a look at the color rendition index or CRI. If the color temp is around 5500k and the CRI is in the 90s, then its color characteristics are very likely to be close to daylight. There are commercially made lamps that can be applied in daylight situations and adequate testing will help you know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Mark Shea November 24th, 2009 01:25 AM

Thanks Dean

I'm using a Mates 'light kit in a box' No stands, just fluoro lights on a handgrip with clamp. Can clamp on furniture or get people to hold 'statute of liberty'.

My mate has added the minus green filter. I will do some shooting without filter. Have been shooting a few seconds of white at start of each location, so should be able to color correct what I have already shot.

The lights are 6500K daylight/cool

Mark Shea November 24th, 2009 04:25 AM

Did some tests Dean, without minus green filter colors less green for natural light, fluoro maybe a little blue.

Pete Cofrancesco November 24th, 2009 09:14 AM

Ideally don't shoot in mix lighting. Close the shades or move the talent away from the window. Then you don't need to do any filter fixes. Ever see how studio photographers work? In the dark with only the strobes lighting the subject.

Dean Sensui November 26th, 2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Shea (Post 1451633)
Did some tests Dean, without minus green filter colors less green for natural light, fluoro maybe a little blue.

If the fluorescent lights are rated at 6500k then you'll have to reduce the color temp to 5500k to get a better match for daylight. A 1/4 CTO should drop it about 1000k to get you a nice match if the rest of the spectral qualities are OK.

If you still see a green spike then try a 1/4 or 1/2 minus green in addition to the 1/4 CTO.