DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Collimated 36 x 1Watt LED panel for 150/- (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/468464-collimated-36-x-1watt-led-panel-150-a.html)

Anmol Mishra November 27th, 2009 07:25 AM

Collimated 36 x 1Watt LED panel for 150/-

www.LEDwholesalers.com - Brightest Day Light White LED Photography Video Panel
Hmm! Am thinking of buying 4.
Their intl shipping is 10 bucks or less..

Any reviews by previous users ?

Dan Brockett November 27th, 2009 10:59 AM

Never seen this but it looks interesting. You would definitely need to come up with some sort of housing to put this in but the price is cheap enough to possibly make it worth trying. I am curious what size these LEDs are. If they are 5mm with housings around each, the output will be really low. If they are larger sized LEDs, (hard to tell from the pictures), they could have a enough output to make this thing worthwhile.

If you try it, report back to us and let us know how they work for video, color temp, etc. Beware that LEDs all seem to have really low CRI so there will probably be a nice nasty green spike that needs to be mitigated with some 1/2 minus green gel.

Dan

Andrew Dean November 27th, 2009 11:51 AM

i dont think they make a 1w led in 5.5mm. Unless they are just crazy inefficient, if they suck a watt each i'd think that should mean they are really bright.

but yeah, i'd be really curious about the cri. if its at all decent, it would be cool to try building a big wall-0-lite out of them. hehe.

cheers,

Peter Arnold November 29th, 2009 07:46 AM

They are Edison Edixeon 1 Watt LED's with a typical Lumen output of 80 Lumen per LED and a beam angle of about 130°. They tend to green at the corners, so you have to filter them through a 1/4 minus green or so.
I have one of those fixtures to experiment and they even have about 5500K as advertised.
Of course it's some kind of a barebone solution, which means you have to make your own fixture for it. But i'ts a pretty nice light.
I'd call it a good starting point.

Peter

Paul Cascio November 29th, 2009 08:18 AM

I ordered on yesterday. Any thoughts on what I should use as a box?

Paul Cascio December 3rd, 2009 06:24 PM

Well, my light arrived and it is bright. Very impressed. Too bad it takes 24V or I could make it portable. Now, I need ideas on how to house it.

Anmol Mishra December 3rd, 2009 10:52 PM

A mate of mine has used Aluminum U-channel for the top and bottom, and then you can drill and tap a 1/4-inch hole to attach on a regular tripod.
With the u-channel you can also attach it with clamps to a light stand.

Paul Cascio December 4th, 2009 05:05 PM

What a fool I am. I'm a picture framer by trade and I didn't even think of that.

Anmol Mishra December 4th, 2009 06:06 PM

do let us know with pics how it turned out ?
I might build my own with ssc-p7 12w lights instead.

Paul Cascio December 4th, 2009 08:06 PM

What creates the voltage requirement, the LED itself, or the quantity. I'm electrically challenged. :)

Tama Berkeljon January 1st, 2010 02:22 AM

The total voltage requirement (also known as forward voltage) is a factor of the individual voltage of the each LED - in this case the individual voltage may be around 3- 3.9 volts.
Looking at the panel, it would seem that there are 6 LED's in series, i.e. the negative from the first LED is conected to the positive of the next LED and so on.
(For an explination of Series circuits see Series and parallel circuits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

So effectively you ADD the voltage needed by each LED in the string to come to the total forward voltage for example - 3.7 + 3.5 + 3.6 + 3.5 + 3.1 + 3.4 = 20.8 V

Note that typically, the forward voltage for each LED is different, meaning that each string of LED's will have a different forward voltage.

Also note that the voltage of the string does not quite add up to 24 volts, this is because of several factors including -
The LED driver consumes some power - this can be several volts itself, depending upon operating conditions and efficiency.
Operational Headroom- so that if your supply fluctuates by a small amount, your light will not change intensity.

So, to sum it up, the operational forward voltage of an LED array is the child of several factors- the individual LED forward voltage, The number of LED's and their total voltage added together, and the efficiency of the drive circuitry and headroom required ..

Hope this helps !!!!

Cheers,

T

Chris Ficek January 1st, 2010 11:32 PM

That many LEDs for $155. This thing must be painfully green without some correction. Let us know how the colour is.

Paul Cascio January 8th, 2010 09:16 PM

Tama, thank you for that terrific explanation. I guess I'm trying to find a way to power this thing with batteries.

Sorry eveyone, I've been negligent in not testing this light. I'll try to get some test footage this weekend.

T.J. Williams January 17th, 2010 11:13 PM

similiar?

There are LED 1000 and 500 of Ebay with case and doors and spud mounts for about $400 are these just the same panels with a case?

Chris Ficek January 21st, 2010 08:49 PM

I saw one of these panels in action at a trade show last week. The guy tapeing with it seemed oblivious to the wayyyyyyy green colour it put out. I shot about 30 seconds of the scene he was lighting with it and checked it in my AVID when I got home and yup WAYYYY green. This thing needs some serious minus green.