Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Trustee

New LED from Switronix

Anyone see this?
Switronix | Torchled TL-88 Dimmable 5600K LED Light - 75 watts
They dont seem to have anything on their website about it but I read about it somewhere. I wonder how it stacks up against current lights.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Not sure why you would pay $569.00 for 68 LEDs and 75 watt output when for $299.00, you could have 256 LEDs with the equivalent of about 500 watt ouput? The CoolLights also runs off of Sony or Panasonic camcorder batteries, external batteries or AC. Also features more mounting options, barndoors and color correction filters for minus green, CTO and diffusion.

CL-LED256 256 LED Spot - Cool Lights USA

No comparison.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Where do you see 500 Watt?
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Dan probably meant to say its about equivalent to a 250w tungsten which is the approximate range of the LED 256 if you wanted to compare it in that way.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Still 250 watts is ALOT of light. Does it really put out that much light? I mean I have a tungsten of about 60 watts if I got one of these it would put out more light?
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Major Player

If you have a light meter, check what your tungsten light is putting out at 2, 4 and 6 feet and compare that to the photometrics on the LED 256 product page and the specifications tab. That'll tell the story but yes it should be about comparable.
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi:

I just received my CoolLights 256. The 500 watt figure was just a guesstimate as I have not yet had time to test it head to head with a 500 watt light but suffice it to say that this little light is VERY bright for its size and weight and is a much better value than of these LED on-camera lights that have flooded the market.

I am sure that Richard's photometrics are accurate, if he says 250 watt equivalent, I am sure it is. It is bright enough to light up one entire end of a small room. Bright enough to use a small softbox with it (Richard, have you considered a speed ring or softbox for this little pup?). That Switronix light just doesn't seem like a good value in comparison.

Dan
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Major Player

I'd be thrilled if it does compare to some 500w lights but I like to be conservative so we under report a bit.

On the softbox, I hadn't considered it as I just thought it was too small and am not sure that the current stand mount would hold the considerable weight of a softbox. Maybe we can consider something more like a flozier for it or some such simple solution to keep weight down. I'm open to suggestions however as always on what's a good addon or accessory. Whenever people have ideas, feel free to post them or drop an email.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You recall my speedring I made for 600s, right? Still using it with my small Chimeras all of the time although the new solution you came up with looks pretty decent too.

I have a really cheap plastic speed ring for flashes and a small softbox that I use for flash, I may see what I can rig up with this setup. Since the 256 runs so cool, I could probably get away with using a strobe only softbox as long as the vents on the 256 are exposed.

I'll let you know what I discover.

Thanks,

D
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Major Player

Strobe type softbox should be no problem as long as the stand adapter can handle the weight of the softbox. Even if the existing adapter can't handle it, there are plenty of 1/4-20 solutions available that can go in the standard bottom mount on the LED 256. Would love to hear what you come up with. And also how much surface area on the front of the softbox you end up with.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the CoolLights feedback on your new LED256. This will be another vote when we consider getting these lights.

Best,
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Richard,

Are you considering adding a softbox option for your LED light kits? (If you have some now, would you mind pointing it out to me? Thanks!)

Best,
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your interest and comments. We do have a softbox now for the LED 600, its under LED Fixture Series and LED Accessories categories on our site. We call it the "speed softbox" as it collapses down and unfolds to put on the LED 600 very quickly. We haven't done one for the LED 256 yet but may do sometime soon.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Richard,

Appreciate the reply. We're currently working for a university at the moment, and they bought an Arri tungsten light kit. Unfortunately, we've been visiting (and will need to re-visit) factories where setting up a tungsten light is cumbersome to say the least, but could be a real safety hazard in other cases. I really like the idea (like Tim Polster's review of your LED lights in a factory environment) of having portable lights which are battery powered.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I do find on camera lights to be a bit too "spot on" for our situation. Whereas a more diffused, low key light will work better for us.

Best,
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

That's just what the LED 256 was designed for anyway so its within the application of what you want to do and it is more at home on a stand then on a camera given its (nearly) 2 lb. weight.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management